Magnum Pump Leak 11 hrs.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I went out today to tinker around my house with the PG and noticed a puddle of water under the machine. I took the hood off, started it and pulled the throttle. Water started shooting out of the pump area. Has anyone had a similar problem like that? Thanks

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Water? Don't you mean antifreeze? I put more antifreeze in my Permagreen Ultra today--but still not enought to prime the pump. So I charged the battery with my charger--up to 13.1 volts. Ready soon.

Probably a loose hose. Check connections and make sure bypass of excess pressure is working.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I hope it was antifreeze, or it was in a heated building all winter... If it was water and it froze... oh no!

I just picked up my new Magnum yesterday, but the weather is sketchy and I don't have room for it in the insulated garage right now, so It's in the shed with the factory antifreeze in it still. Wanted to get water in it and make sure everything is good to go with it! First one we gassed up for me to take had a leaky spray tank! (put water in it at the store to let me play with it)

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Its anti freeze and water. Factory, plus i added a little more to be sure. I'm thinking maybe a seal. Gonna do a thorough check tomorrow.

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I had a seal go bad in mine last summer. I think it got over-reved by a guy doing some work on the motor. if your still under warranty call PG and they will send you a new one.

6. RigglePLC

Jason,
    if there is enough antifreeze to prime the pump--why not fire it up. See how fast you can get it to go in second gear. Will it really do 5 mph? See if it actually works. Check for leaks. Make sure it is putting out the amount of flow per minute you expect--catching the antifreeze in buckets, and pouring back into the tank, of course. Let us know how many ounces per minute you are putting out. How many square feet per minute would you be able to cover? Make up your fill chart--using Microsoft Excel.

I am planning on disconnecting my electric pump at first. Too much danger of accidentally hitting the pump switch and spraying a lawn with antifreeze. That would be ugly.

Last year with my PG Ultra I got about 80 ounces per munute counting both nozzles. Covered about 5000 sq ft per gallon.

7. Jason Rose

Oh yeah, it's able to run, there's only enough antifreeze in the tank to fill the bottom well, but with the lid off I see it pumping back thru the return line. Iv'e kept both the nozzle valves CLOSED, just in case I do something like that, lol. I have ran it around a bit. Neghibors are going to think I'm on crack once I get to the calibration portion of it.

The antifreeze in it is PINK. I assume it's just R/V stuff, which is non-toxic, of course I'm sure the 100% concentrate would kill grass/plants.

I need to adjust my top end rpm's. i'm running about 100 to 140 too fast, book says very clearly that 3450 is the dead on top speed that it has to run at. Also have a question, and this is what I was TOLD by the guy at lesco, and that is you can run the same fertilizer setting for either high or low gear, it dosn't have to be adjusted for going in low or high. He swore to me this was true... he said that because the impeller spins faster in high it automatically alters the rate. Is that true??? I don't see how the impeller spinning faster could effect the output. To me no matter if you are sitting still or going 20 mph the same amount will pour through those holes. The book does not really address this! Need some truth...

8. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you have to adjust your settings when running at the higher rate, usually about a number and a half, time how long to go 143 feet at low gear and then high, then adjust flow rate( pounds of product) to speed. 143 x 7 =1001 course, the manual describes all this in detail, it is under the section on calibration

9. Jason Rose

Just can't figure out why the "expert" that he is said to be about the machines has NO CLUE how they work!!! I also commented on the stiffness of the open/close lever for the hopper and he pointed to the linkage on the rod and said that's what I adjust to meke it more or less stiff. WTF??? that linkage adjustment is for making sure the holes close 100%, nothing at all to do with the friction of the plate... Glad I know how to figure things out on my own most of the time. I'd be SOL if I had to rely on this guy for operating instruction!

I'll start a new thread once I get pics of it (like we havent seen one before) but there's more saga to it when I went to pick it up, kinda sad, but I got about $215 in chemicals out of the deal for free...

10. RigglePLC

Jason,
    Trust your own good judgement. At 3450 rpm the impeller speed doesn't change. If you go half as fast you will put down twice as much fertilizer.

Not everybody agrees with me, but I operate at a swath of 11 feet center to center. 91 feet covers 1000 sqft. Calibrate to your own time and sqft.