1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Magnum Spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Jul 13, 2007.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a problem with not being able to see the spray on
    the magnum.
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

No sh$t! Factory Permagreen units suck, cuz they do not provide "complete coverage" of weeds. You need to tweak your unit so it will do the job. See previous posts. If you want further help, PM me.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

It is hard to see at first, but you will learn ways to find out.

I squat down and you can see it really easy and also sometimes you can get the sun just right and see it real well.

Best way is to "accidently" get it on the driveway if blacktopped and it shows up real well.

Plug tips every once in a while, but very rarely. I have gotten in the habit to check every lawn to see if it is spraying good and clean screen often.
  4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

It's nice to know that in a crazy world you can always rely on a few truths - the sun rises and sets each day, the moon revolves around the earth, the Cubs will never win the World Series, and a PG question on this site will trigger a "PG sucks" response faster than a speeding bullet.

You'll have no trouble finding upgrade ideas on this site that range from bigger spray tips to pumps that use a motorcycle battery and a pump that can spray 8 gallons a minute in a 20 foot arc. But you might want to try calling PG and getting their upgrade kit - it sprays a half gallon per thousand square feet and provides the full coverage that many seem to feel is necessary. Good luck either way!
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a PG Magnum and was having problems seeing the spray too. About 2 weeks ago I tried the white 26 gpa flood-jet spray tip to spray some Talstar, I could easily see the spray! and it had a heavier spray pattern with larger droplets so I tried it with weed-control and I like it! I had to adjust the rate of weed-control by 1 oz per gallon less in the mix. if you wanted a even heavier spray pattern you also put a 26 gpa nozzle on the low gear spray nozzle and run with both low and high gear valves open. I'm thinking with that kind of volume if we could even spray liquid pre-emergents?
  6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

didn't know they offered such a kit..i just bought a z-spray jr so far very happy with it..the only reason i didn't get a pg was b/c of the spraying on the machine.and a smaller tank..oh well the z-spray is alot more machine but also alittle harder to get used to and drive then the magnum...
  7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Glad that's working for you but it doesn't seem to me to be as easy as changing spray tips. This has to throw calibration off. Example, the PG pump is a 2 GPM but since it's driven on engine rpms it can't deliver 2 GPM even if you ran a 2 GPM spray tip. And the hose size would have to change as well. You may want to test your setup and measure exactly how much output you're getting and then recalculate the material you add. Also, turning on high and low spray tips is likely to produce an uneven spray distribution.
  8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about moving the spray tips to the side with pipe like the ultra
    Since i have three other tips i never use
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Where did you find the nozzle at? I have 2 "farm supply" stores close by, just wondered if the nozzles were just Ag nozzles, Iv'e never checked to see.

I was able to get much better weed control using the "high gear" nozzle and running the unit in "low", of course changing the mix in the tank. Running in low stinks though, would love to just swap out for larger nozzles and acheive the same spray rate but in high gear!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it is hard to see and most times i cant see it at all so i go into a zen mode of lawn spraying and just let the spray gods guide me