1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Magnum transmission

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by teeca, Jun 20, 2008.

1. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i was riding along spraying like a mad man on a huge property driving around in a counter-clock wise rotation and thought it was hard to turn to the right. didn't think much about it and kept going. today i was on a smaller property and i'll be damm.... the thing only goes strait or left, if i try to go right the wheel on the right starts hopping (like a 4x4 on drive pavment). i'm assuming that these trans are set up simular to that of a car diff (they have some type of planatary/spider gear set) have any of you had a problem like this?? what a bummer only going left :dizzy: only have 170hrs on it
  2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

What year is it? The older Magnums had transmission problems. There were no grease fittings on them. With time the wheels would freeze.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

when i posted the thred i forgot that PG is in the central time zone so i called them. they told me to check and make sure the drive wheels are not rubbing the frame, i guess the transaxle has 'sloted' bolt holes allowing the transaxle to shift poss. if the bolts become loose. the second thing they told me to check is the bracket that holds the transaxle in poss. they said that they have had great luck with this transaxle (lmaf, yah right!) so i guess i'll check that stuff monday, time to go camping. if it is the transaxle it's something insaine like $750.. the mechine was new last year, out of warranty(of course)
  4. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

they also sell a retro-fit kit that allows you to put grease zirks into the older transmissions, pretty easy to do
  5. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Are your tires under inflated? This will cause the tires to rub on the frame. P.G. also sells spacers for the wheel studs to move the tires out 1/4 inch.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I heard it was $819. Probably with sales tax.
  7. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

yeah you are right , i just replaced mine last winter, just after i had to replace the motor aslo. i have a practically new machine now since motor, trans tires and hand grips changed. the previous owner didnt do a very good cleaning job to it. so KEEP THEM CLEAN!!!!
  8. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Your not going the believe this! The reason early model magnums had trani problems is because the mounts on the to let in fertilizer dust. It builds up and eats through everything. I know a pump mechanic that works on them non stop. He provides a $300 service that breaks them down and puts in plastic blockers or rings if you will, that stop this. Permagreen will shoot out every excuse in the book, but they should do a recall like an automobile co. would have to. Mine started leaking at three hundred hours, and I clean the machine. Class action law suite anyone?
  9. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

mounts on the top of the trani I mean.
  10. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

i still have my old trans i never got rid of it yet, i just looked at it today as a matter of fact. i would liketo tear it down and see if i can fix it for a back up or sell it to a needy person........... bring on the lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!