magnuson-moss (re: redmax dealer)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yater, May 6, 2008.

1. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an ebz7001 on friday and the 2 salesmen and the manager (all present) tried to push the redmax pre-mix on me. I usually run mobil 1 mx2t (synthetic) or amsoil in my 2 strokes. When I informed them of this, they said redmax would void the warranty should I need warranty work. I laughed and said "really?", but they persisted.

I did not buy the redmax oil. I'd really like a redmax 2401 trimmer. I think I have a couple of other redmax dealers in my area. Should I print out a few copies of the magnuson-moss act in case they try the same? I love the blower but I'm not going to put up with bullshit from anyone. I've read threads on stihl and other dealers trying the same. Should I send the dealer's name to amsoil and never go back?

2. Yater

From the Federal Trade Commission website:

What the Magnuson-Moss Act
    Does Not Allow
    There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
    Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

3. It could simply be this... advice based on experience...

What I mean is:

If you have an engine issue (for example) and the manufacturer requires the dealer to send in an oil sample - any mfr. can simply say - "bad oil" once they've validated you haven't used theirs.

I only mention this because there are, in fact, a lot of crappy oils. Most everyone here would agree - synthetic is better than conventional...

But, what about conventional vs. conventional?

Thing is - Redmax oil isn't even certified D - it's only certified C

4. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I thought that the magnuson-moss warranty act just required them to provide you with the written manufacturers warranty.
    Meaning if you ask to see the warranty the retailer must provide it in writing.

But as long as you use oil that meets or exceeds factory requirements it can not void the warranty. In order for them to require you to use their specific products like oil, they must provide it free of charge.

But if it were me I would tell the dealer what they wanted to hear and then use whatever oil I wanted. That is like Ford voiding your warranty on your vehicle's engine because you used mobile 1 instead of their brand. Not going to happen.

5. C&K

from East TN

That's it, I guess it is the maguson-moss warranty act.

Either way they can not require you to use their oil to maintain a warranty unless they provide you the oil free of charge.

6. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe print a copy of it and take it to the dealer. Then proceed to tell them to provide you all the Redmax oil your unit will burn during the warranty period. That is the only way they can "make" you use the Redmax oil!!!

P.S. Glad to hear you use Amsoil and that you took a stand against the mis-informed!!!

7. Yater

Yes, this is the case. My only problem is I'd like to have a reputable dealer in my area...if they're going to lie about this, what else will they try to screw me on??...seems like they're already trying to screw me on future warranty claims. I may just have amsoil contact this dealer and try one of the others in town. I think I'll print out a copy of magnuson-moss for reference though.

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool your jets, I dont think it will ever go that far or even worth your time. You did the right thing buy it from another dealer. I dont know if they are ignorant or just misinformed their action would make me question their integrity. Makes you wonder.... but no big deal just buy and move on.

9. Yater

I can buy cheap on ebay if I don't need the 2 year commercial warranty. If a dealer is pre-emptively refusing warranty claims based on my use of (approved) oil, they can pound sand. They should also receive notice (from amsoil) of the law.

10. C&K

from East TN

I say let'em know. I had to get a letter sent to a car dealership once to get them to take care of a warranty issue....had no problems from that dealer since.