1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

MAHATS EPHAHCs Logo Topic for show

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by greenbottle27, Feb 15, 2007.

1. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 LawnSite Member

FYI - last year we discovered a local company who was using the EPH Authorized Contractor logo that was NOT an Authorized contractor. The EPHAHC logo appears in the yellow pages and I just received confirmation that it is also plastered on one or more of their trucks.

Last year we (nicely) brought this to the attention of EPH, however, it never escalated. Partially our fault for not pressing the issue.

IMO... the rigors you must go through to become an Authorized Harscaping Contractor should not be taken lightly. Those who have rightfully earned the logo should be the only ones to USE the logo. Also IMO, I have personally seen some of their hardscape work and I could build more level wall! The naked (female) eye can even pick it up. Anyway....

Perhaps if anyone feels the same way - you might want to bring this to the table at the trade show. I wish I would have know for the town hall meeting!

If I'm blowing the situation out of proportin, please tell me. I'll drop it. But it makes me mad that a notable area LAWN company thinks that since they built 2 walls and half a dozen walkways they are 'EHP certified contractors'.
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I had also brought this up to EP Henry. There are quite a few contractors that still use the logo even though they are not NCMA certified. I know EP Henry sent out quite a few cease and desist letters to all of the contractors that were not accepted back into the program. I guess it's pretty hard to police a large number of contractors though.

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

We have the same problem here. It always seems to be the absolute worst contractor that seems to do it too. i know that this has been brought to there attention also and i have yet to see it come off there website.
  4. greenbottle27

Thanks Chris.
    Frank spoke to someone at the show. They want the information on the company as they now have a process in place to issue a legal warning to remove all EPHAHC logos. If they are not removed (trucks, websites, flyers and such) a final demand letter goes out per their lawyer.

Seems trivial to some but, my husband is good at what he does & takes pride in his work. If I have the chance to bang one undeserving yo-yo outta the box, I'll give it a shot.
  5. greenbottle27

Hey McKee - maybe I'll start a site for deadbeat wanna be hardscapers!

When I contact Brendan this weekend, I'll be glad to include the info for your EPHAHC imposter! Just forward the basic company information, name, address ph# and where you've see the logo appear I'll send it over with ours. Brendan even checked our imposter and they haven't even APPLIED for the program. Gimmie a.... L-O-S-E-R!
  6. McKeeLand

Looks like i may have misspoke. i just checked out the for mentioned contractor and it looks like he has taken it off his web site. Their is one other contractor that was on the list but was removed last year after the reevaluation. i saw him yesterday with the EPHAHC logo on his truck. I feel bad though because i know the guy is a mess and probable wouldn't be in business much longer anyway, so to tattle on him seems kinda cruel despite having lost a very nice job to him last year while he was still a EPHAHC.
  7. greenbottle27

I'm the oldest sibling so I'm ok with tattling :) Not to mention my female trait of being a $itch (at times). *lol* This is why I think Frank wants to keep me outta the office!
  8. McKeeLand

Some times your better off just to out shine them. they will get whats coming to them.
  9. EP Henry

EP Henry LawnSite Member

EP Henry take it Authorized Contractor Program very seriously, please forward the UN-Authroized contractors information to EP Henry contractor services administrator. It will be addressed immediately. Thank you for your support.
  10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know if its just me.. but for some professions.. if there is going to be certifications and the such, I think it should be from non-profit of government associations. Every brand has their 'own' certification... now you cant say oh because every product is so different.. its just a marketing tool for them to use. Now this isnt to say its not hard to get, or you dont work very hard to get this certification, I just dont like giving more promotion to companies I already buy from.