Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by John Zaprala, Feb 19, 2008.

1. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Heading down to MAHTS in Atlantic City, NJ tomorrow night... I hope everyone has a great time there. You can always know more! Sometimes you learn a the best lessons just talking to other contractors at lunch or the pub! So, keep your ears open if you want to stay ahead. See you guys down there!
  2. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

Theres a rumor going around that MAHTS is NOT having ICPI and NCMA classes this year?

I find that hard to beleive, EP Henry has been a pretty strong advocate of that stuff before.
  3. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

It's not a rumor, there is no ICPI, but there is NCMA classes. I brought this up to a Rep and they kinda hinted that there's no value for them to pay to stage the classrooms etc for ICPI when ICPI does nothing in return for them or us the contractor after the cert. We obviosuly get an education, but after that, why be a level II installer as mentioned in another post if there is no new knowledge there. I feel there is not enough structure in the establishment of standards for our industry. I think it's great the industry has made great strides in the last decade for sure as far as educating the contractors, but it's seems a lot of these classes are more business oriented than they are beneficial to contractor beyond basic education. I just wish they would tighten up the authorized contractor program more. Last year they said almost 30% of authorized contractors were dropped for one reason or another, yet I see more and more popping up out of the woodwork. What happened to raising the bar? Where are all the leads from the Conserv? We get a lot more support from our distributor than most which has made up for the lacking courses this year. Our supplier has set-up courses closer to home so all of our workers can become knowledgeable, not just with pavers, but lights, laser levels, the works... there's value to being a well educated contractor. There's just a whole lot of mixed messages it seems.
  4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

What do the ncma classes consist of? I really what to learn hardscapes, but don't have the money to go to the show in Tennessee. Are they comparable with the ipci level 1? Would it be worth my money to go.I would have to take off work, time and gas, plus class fees, plus entry fees. I just don't want to waste my time if they are the wrong classes for me.
  5. cutbetterthanyou

never mind i found out what i needed to plus the classes i would want are full
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I attended NCMA class today. Who would have thunk that you can get drilled for a few hours and basically get told what to look for in the test and in six weeks receive a certificate stating your "NCMA" certified.

Wasn't nearly as informative as ICPI. At least I felt like I had to work for something and a half of instruction (which was very good BTW) and an exam the second half of the second day.

Watch I probablly failed the darn thing:laugh:
  7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

It all depends on the teacher you get, my ncma class last year was great...took the cast lighting class today pretty good.
  8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Thought the same exact thing. I was there yesterday as well. The whole class should have taken 45 minutes at most. It was honestly a joke IMO. I am really starting to agree with others that these certifications are all about $$.
  9. cutbetterthanyou

Was the exam for icpi really hard i am regestering for it tommorow? do you do hands on the the icpi course or is it all text book?
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Hard no, easy no. You need to pay attention. And the one I went to wasn't hands on.

I was speaking to someone at MAHTS on Tuesday and he said he took ICPI a few weeks ago and it was only one day...

Honestly, my ICPI course was pretty good because the two instructors were excellent providing us with real life examples instead of just talking out of a textbook.