maiden grass issue

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RonWin, Apr 29, 2014.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

A good customer of mine gave me a call today and said that his maiden grass plants had died because I cut them in the fall. I thought that cutting these grasses were fine to do in either late fall or spring? I can't imagine that the one of the coldest winters on record and a more than normal snow fall did well to these plants? Would it have a matter in how short or high they were cut?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Wont they come back? Their just now starting to grow here in the South.

3. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure they will just come back. Here in Virginia they just started to come back maybe a week or so ago. At least thats when I noticed them.

4. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

im headed over there tomorrow, hope that he's wrong. I can't see those grasses coming back til later in the year, i just don't know when exactly.

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Maiden grass is most likely still dormant this time of year in Albany, NY.

Tell him to wait until June and explain that some plants don't survive harsh winters.

6. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

RonWin...tell him to relax. Mine just start growing two days ago and I'm in Western, PA. You're in NY...you're probably a week or two behind us for growth. You guys got nailed with a hash winter...so did we, but nothing like you guys. You can cut them fall or spring. However...I like to leave my stuff till spring. Plants like that can use nutrients from the dead and dying parts of the plants to get through winters. So I leave stuff on all winter long.