mail box advertising regulations

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

So what about those one piece plastic ones with the paper box built into them?

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm#wp1051804

Read 3.2.11
    Sounds like those are technically illegal and are actually part of the mailbox, although I think the postman would have to be pretty anal to try to nail us for those.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I guess it's not just clear enough for some guys.

5. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Haha...Last year a scrub went around taping his black and white one page advertisements that he printed on his computer to the front of mail boxes. This guy was an idiot, the tape he used, was very tacky and in 100 degree weather melted onto the paint. He is the only person I know of that was fined by the post master. The paint on every box was pulled up when the flyer was removed. Needless to say he is no longer in business.

6. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Why waste your time trying to find ways around the law, when it takes a few more seconds to walk to the door :dizzy: :confused: Makes no sense!!!

(I do realize your posting this as info but for those that are still looking for ways around it)

All_Clear

7. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I print my fliers in black toner, front and back. Do you use color ink for your printing, because that would raise the cost signifcantly. Theres nothing wrong with black, or white paper. White sells. As for the tape, thats not a good idea.

It takes much longer then a few seconds to deliver a flier in a paperbox then to walk it to the door. I can do about 500 fliers in a little over 2 hours, driving to each mailbox in my truck. With doing door to door, including knocking and talking to someone if they answer, i expect around 25 an hour per person.

8. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I never said that printing black and white was bad...I do both, cheap flyers and really expensive two sided color doorhangers... they get about the same response. go figure :dizzy:

9. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

If your going door to door knocking then why bother with a flyer... Explain who you are, what you offer and leave a business card. Otherwise flyers and door hanger just slip on the door/knob and off you go (town here has an ordnance saying you cant knock and solicit sales)

If people are to lazy to get out of their truck to get more business... then they're in the wrong business!!!

All_Clear

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it is a federal offence to put your flyers on ,in or affixed to a mailbox,.... i wish they would make this information a stickey up top for the newbies...