Mail invoices or drop them off?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kc2006, Apr 29, 2008.

Do you mail your invoices or drop them off. Please post an explaination

1. Yes I mail them

49 vote(s)
  2. No I drop them off

14 vote(s)
  1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Just wanted to see what the word is on this, so I'm tossing a poll up to see what you guys do.

I'm thinking about not mailing invoices out anymore, but rather just dropping them off at the last service of the month. I figured this will save a good amount of money, especially since stamps are getting like gas anymore, always going up. I've already saved on doing billing for one time costomers by putting a laptop and printer in the truck, so I just print the bill and leave it.

Whats the take on this? Yes no? Why? I don't want to email invoices, just seems like they'd get forgoten that way. Plus this area isn't big on technology (old folks).
  2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on where you leave it ... I hope you know that you can't leave it in the mail box !! Only mail delivered by the post office can go in there, by law ... in light if that, you might want to keep mailing them.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I mail all my invoices. To much hassle for leaving them with the customer. I'd rather pay the postage and get it all done and over with.
  4. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will leave them if I see the mail has already run. Also when I see the mail man walking I will stop him and let him know he does not care, Thats just me. You will only get a call if 1 the home owner complains or 2 the mail man sees it.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I mail them. Seems like a real hassle to leave them and not know if the customer got it.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Keep em coming!

These are all points I've thought of. People not getting them, and the one time I did try to drop them off, it seemed like a hassle or i just forgot. But I thought it would be a nice way to shave some costs.
  7. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I try to leave the invoice in the mailbox when possible and save the postage. The only problem is that most newer homes don't have mailboxes. They are all using "super boxes" where the whole street will share a box with a locked slots for each house. As far as I know we can leave letters in peoples mail boxes I guess you guys in the US have stricker mail rules.
  8. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I mail them. Using gopher, generate invoices once a month, print, fold, close and stamp.
    My admin lady and wife are getting together in the morning to do this. It will take about an hour. We are sending out an update letter also since we are now taking CCards.

Mailing them allows me to focus on doing better business and less on getting paid. When you leave an invoice, anything can happen to it cause you cannot put it in the mail box.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

What about E-mail the invoices to them. We mail them and E-mail some.
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly my point.:)