Mail order Plants?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green-Pro, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anybody use these places like Bluestone Perennials to order plants from?

If so what was/is your experience? I have three local nurseries I deal with, but by local that means the closest one is 20 miles away, no not a long distance, but this is not the point of my question.

I call or email my suppliers about plants (checking for availability of a specific plant), not often but sometimes will have difficulty in finding a particular type/species, yes the requested plants are zoned for our area. I am trying to nail down if these mail order retail centers are worth looking into as another viable supplier of plants to add to my list of nurseries.

How about it folks, anyone use them?

Thanks

Geoff

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't use them but I know people that have gotten burnt way to many times.

3. Green-Pro

Thanks GW thats what I'm afraid of, I will likely steer clear of these outfits, they do make it look attractive with the wide variety of plant selection, just not to the point that I would deal with someone long distance.
    I've got three very good suppliers with good plant selections, just that sometimes I feel like really looking for that obscure planting, at least as far as my market area is concerned.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have purchased material from riverbend on many occasions. and if I don't have enough to warrant a truck delivery, they UPS. Packing has been excellent and plant quality is great. Yeah they trim the perrennials back for UPS shipment, but its not a huge problem.....

http://www.riverbendnursery.com/

5. Green-Pro

Thanks for the link Marc, will have to check out this weekend. Even if I do not order from an online/mail order supplier still like to check out whats out there.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember also to try to get plants from your own zone or only one away. When winter time comes you might have some dead plants because of climate differences.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

good point gate....

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would always be scared to order from them

9. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

this is a very good topic to discuss, i was wondering about mail order plants also. like quality and size , and how they ship plants. Alot of these online places are cheaper then the local nursery. www.michiganbulb.com i get their catalogs all the time have not order anything yet but was considering trying it out this season. if anyone has does this before please share your experience

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have ordered a couple of times from a tree catalog. The first order for some shrubs came in good condition and took to the soil well! The second order for a tree was a big mistake! The nearest nursey to me that had the tree in stock was about 80 miles away but the catalog had them in stock and only about $20. more. I decided to order since I had good luck in the past. It was a big mistake... The plant arrived in half dead condition but did not surrvive long at all. I didnt bother to plant it and returned it to the company. When they got it, they claimed i waited to long to return it and that was the cause of death..?? Won't make that mistake again! I only get plants from nurseries now!