mailbox off limits for flyer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FineScapes, Jan 21, 2004.

1. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

checked out the usps website and it said that the mailbox and all of its attachments are off limits for advertising.

DO YOU GUYS THINK WE CAN GET IN TROUBLE FOR PUTTING THE AD ON THE FLAG? THEY HAVE A RUBBERBAND SO I GUESS I CAN WALK THEM TO THE DOOR?

DON'T A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN TO GET A WARNING OR FINE? IVE PUT OUT FLYERS IN PAST YEARS BUT IM SECOND GUESSING MYSELF NOW? IS IT WORTH THE RISK?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No!

3. JHMlandscapes

JHMlandscapes LawnSite Member

Never mess with the mailboxes. Ever. Period. Not the pole, not the flag, not anything. Just walk a little farther and put them on the door. We could all use a little exercise.:p

Henry

4. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Way back when I first started I pu flyers on the flags of mailboxes. One day a mail man asked if they were mine and like a dummy I said yes. He told me that he really didn't care but it was not up to him. He said the USPS will fine you for anything placed in or on the box even if it is privately purchased for the use as a mail box. He told me not to do it again so like A good boy....I did it in another part of town.

BIG MISTAKE! I got a letter from the Post Master General with the fines listed and a notice telling me that they have my flier along with name and number in their file and next time I could be fined. I think it was like $50.00 per occurance back then.

Needless to say I filled out their little form attached to the letter that said I understood and would not push their button again.

It is not worth it and they need the money according to all the stamp increases the USPS gets. I am not putting nothin on a mail box.

I place things like that on a front door or I pay for mailers.:cry: :(

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

6. SIRCAESAR

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Hey guys, as always its about the Money.. the Usps, does not want you adverstising for free on people's mailboxes, when they can get paid from your direct mail to those same customers..of course whether you actually mail them yourself or a direct mail company does it..does not matter. Have you heard the usps complain about direct mail? No, cause it makes them rich, Just put the flyers on doors or, the best advertising of all.. go door to door, and hand the prospective customers your flyers. Trust me you'll be surprised..

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Who gives a flip what the reasoning is??? That doesn't matter, its about what the law is.
    After you get a few seasons behind you, you will understand.

8. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

i agree imjust going to walk em up to the doors---YOU THINK ITS OK IF THEY ARE STILL FLYERS JUST ATTACH THE M WITH THE RUBBERBAND THATS ALREADY ON THEIR? ANYWAY GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON

9. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Get a mailing list then fold the flier and place a stamp on it. Its not that hard trust me!!!

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Finescapes,

Here is a quote from this post.

"just a note about droppign things in mailboxes. i went around last season and shoved probably 200 mailboxes in a day with flyers. had a call the next day from the post master general saying that i had done somthing wrong-and due to the magnitude i was going to be fines 10 cents per flyer. "