MAILBOX REPLACEMENT and need IMMEDIATE RESPONSES!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian B, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

one of my customers mailboxes got destroyed yesterday when a car ran into it. i know the post has to be like 2 1/2 -3 ft. into the ground. but how high off the ground does the box have to be and how far back from the street? responses would be great because im doing it right after my church and i will leave at like 9 to go to church and do it around 11. thank you

2. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

If I were you I would just look at all the neighbors mail boxes and place it in accordance with them. I don't think there is a set height or distance from the curb that you have to go by. just make it look good and straight and i'm sure everybody will be happy.

3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

^^^
    Id go with that
    If its just a simple 4x4 post to put back in the local HD/Lowes store may have a spike made to fit so all you have to drive in the ground is the spike then set the post on the top and screw it to the spike bracket(takes about 10 min)

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers are required to contact the local post office before installing the mailbox to ensure its correct placement and height. Generally, mailboxes are installed at a height of 41-45 inches from the road surface to the point of mail entry and are set back 6 to 8 inches from the front face of the curb or road edge to the mailbox door.

Remember to keep federal regulations in mind when placing the mailbox. When you replace an existing mailbox or install one for the first time, make sure that it will be easily accessible for your mail carrier. Keep these things in mind:

* The regulation height is 42" from the bottom of the mailbox to the ground.

* Your house number should be clearly marked on the mailbox with painted numbers or stickers no less than 1" high.

* The box should be on the right-hand side of the road as traveled by the mail carrier.

* It should be located approximately 2' from the side of the road to ensure the carrier can get off the road enough to clear traffic.

These are some instructions off the net, you may also find instructions in with the new mailbox and post you purchase.

Kirk