Mailed out 1000 postcards no calls

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Mar 9, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

So the weather if funky up here it can go from snow to rain almost 50 then down to the low 30s. I always try to get a feel for my mailings if its too early it gets thrown in the round circular file in the corner, if im too late they get someone else. So i sent out 1000 for last mon i thought id get some calls, i got zero. Then I wonder if its talk of recession in the news and high prices. Maybe im just too early.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

it hasnt even been a week id give it a few days...say the post card company sent them monday and the earliest they were getting where they got to go is tuesday...most likely wed, thurs, and even friday so wait a few more days

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I just sent 2,500 plus another ~300...NO CALLS yet:confused:

I thought I was early, but got the scotts & tgcl crap in the mail yesterday. If there is anything they know, it's marketing, so I feel a little better. Postcards always seem to work better in the first few weeks of April, but we're too busy to mess much with new business by then:cry:
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am not an expert by any means, but there are so many variables that work for or against lawncare marketing.

TIMING being the biggest.

Did you SELECT who you were sending your cards to or just do a mass mailing.

Last year....I could tell you to the day when my post card hit. Maybe it will be different this year.

Don't give up, maybe they will call in the next week or two.

I would send out another 1000 if you don't hear much in the next week.

Right now, we have 12" of snow on the ground and if my post card would have hit this week I would be crying! I think timing is more important then anything.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

As rcreech said - send out another batch...maybe do this when your weather forecast is predicting above average temps 3-5 days in the future. Have the cards hit right when people are getting spring fever!
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know Humble. I've put out about 800 door hangers and picked up 10... maybe 11 new customers. I got the Scotts marketing package last week, and they are signing at least some people up right now. It could be worse... you could have the flu! :cry:
  7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

People will hold on to your stuff til they are ready as well.

I hope that happens alot for y'all.
  8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the grim reality of marketing. I remember pulling hair out during our "initial branding" thinking everything I did was wrong:

RSVP (100 yr old direct mail coop) : $3500.00 investment = $0 in ROI
    Clear Channel Radio (2 stations) : $3200.00 investment = $0 in ROI
    5000 Jumbo Postcards (mailed to targeted addresses) : $1700.00 = $1500 in ROI
    Yellow Pages (first ad) : $2000.00 investment = $0 in ROI

The crazy thing is that, due to the amount we spent then (2 years ago) we have:

Closed at a much higher rate
    Been recognized by fellow contractors
    Secured credit accounts that we would not have
    Gotten involved in networks that we would not have

and essentially ended up with a dependable income in an undependable industry.

I always thought that was the goal. Don't get down...just keep pressing on in advertising. It does work, but will drive you to your last dime on the way.
  9. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that sounds about right. I'd say 995 of those are in the trash by now. Hopefully someone calls you, but not likely if its been a week.
  10. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

hey humble 1,are you just sending out those for advertising or are they letters to your last year customers to resign up this year.I send letters to my customers from last year saynig we appreciated their business in 07 as we do in 08 and we will go ahead and sign you up to receive the same services as last year.That leaves it up to them to tell me they dont want treatments this year and we go back in on the yards in spring unless we hear otherwise.How do you do it?