Mailers??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by schunklawn, Dec 14, 2007.

1. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

hey guys....i was just wondering how you go about doing mailers...i am wanting to send out like 5,000 postcards for spring...this is the first of my researching....may be a stupid question but i haven't tried it yet...i'm guessing you just get your postcards made up and then have them sent out from your post office....?? thanks for any help...

No Bunk Lawn Care

2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the just of it, I began doing mailers the middle of this past season. Talk to the post office about bulk mail prices. With that amount it would benifit you, or have a company mail them for you. If I mailed 5000 It would encompas 3 states and 14 counies. My area is very rural so I am only doing about 400-500 post cards, printing them myself and doing the .26 cent stamps I figure about a 3-7% return. Also walking door to door and doing door hangers also, plus I run my mouth to everyone I talk to. Just getting ready to start my second year so well see how next year goes.

3. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

mailers are good to "get your name out there". They increase your visibility and help to start to familiarize local consumers with your name, but don't expect to get many sales leads from them. For example how many times do you see an add for Lowe's and say hey I really just got a craving to buy lumber. But i bet if you see enough Lowe's commercials, the next time you need some lumber Lowe's is going to be the first name that comes to your mind.

As other members have said you get most of your leads from networking, word of mouth and people stopping by at an account or a job that you are doing and asking for your card. My best tip, especially your first year out there is to advertise as much as you can to get your name out there. Everyone in the country knows what Pepsi is because there name is everywhere. Leave business cards Everywhere! Advertise on diner place mats, walk around with a company shirt on whenever you can, letter all your trucks and use lawn signs (if zoning and the customer allows it). Lawn signs say "If you like how this lawn looks and you want your lawn to look this good too, then give me a call".

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Arn't you the same guy that posted the above quote from another thread?

With that great flyer that gives a 25% return on calls why would you consider a different marketing avenue? By the way I though you were going to post that flyer, I'm still interested to see what a flyer built with a spreadsheet program looks like.

5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

My first yr this yr and im about to send out 9,500 5x8 full color both sides postcards and all in a 10 mile radius of my house,adds in papers,also on craigslist,door to door flyers and my logo plasterd on both sides of my 8x16 enclosed trailer and on the ramp,also on both sides of my truck and thats how im going to get my name out their to start,not to mention all the networking ive been doing over the past 3 mos....i am trying!!!:usflag:

6. schunklawn

yea Wells i'm the same guy...i pass out a lot of fliers and they do great but i don't have the time to do 5,000 of them....i am trying to go to the next step next season...adding another crew and want to keep everyone busy....sorry for the delay on the fliers, i will get them up as soon as i can....i just want to flood a certain area with my name and i have heard pretty much only good things about doing mailers...i only have time to hand out like 100 fliers at a time....lol i would rather be doing other things....you gotta pay to play...

No Bunk Lawn Care

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It takes less than a minute to upload a file to the forum. I would like to see it too. I need an idea for a good flyer.

8. schunklawn

i didn't do my fliers with a spreadsheet program either by the way...i got them done at kwik kopy...had them made up...i don't know that i could have created them at home or not...i will post them now if i can

No Bunk Lawn Care

9. schunklawn

i was having trouble resizing them...here's what i got....they work really well for me...

you call, we haul.jpg

snow removal.jpg

10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Sorry about that, I went back and read the other post again and your right, it was someone else that was creating their fliers in a spreadsheet. I appologize for getting the mixup.

The fliers look good, simple and to the point.
    Sometimes less is more.