Mailing lists

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by morning dew, Nov 2, 2002.

1. morning dew

morning dew LawnSite Member

I see a lot of you are talking about walking the neighborhoods passing out flyers and being nervous. I have excellent results when I drive through, in the truck while compiling a specific mailing list on my own then I always have the address to send out new advertisments. Leave out the homes you dont want, target the ones for your "dream" list.

Try it! It works.

Jesse

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

People are talking about handing you 10,000 flyers at a time. I am not sure what a post card cost to send but I think it's something like 23 cents and that time 10,000 is $2300.

MATT

3. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a pre-sorted bulk rate and you can get that postage rate down even further.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most bulk mail the percentage tossed out is VERY-VERY high!
    Door hangers or flyers are the way. DonT DONT put anything in a mailbox without a stamp!

5. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Post office only give 3 or 4 cents off on bulk mailing a you have to sort by zip code. Not worth it IMO.

6. Nebraska

Not worth it? How do you figure?

Letter sorted by carrier route will bring your rate down $.095..
    Postcard sorted by carrier route will bring your rate down $.06...

Lets see...

You send 10,000 postcards at standard rate the postage is going to cost you: $2300...... If you send the same at pre-sort by carrier route postage will cost you: $1700. That is a savings of $600. Do 30,000 and you'll save $1800

You send 10,000 letters at standard rate the postage is going to cost you: $3700.... If you send the same at pre-sort by carrier route postage will cost you: $2750. That is a savings of $950. Do 30,000 and you'll save $2850.

You can still do it and personalize the piece through any mail merge feature in a contact management program.

Here is a link for postage rates: http://pe.usps.gov/

7. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I just read the rules on the USPO's website. You are right about saving money, but only if you send it standard mail. This shouldn;t be a problem the only diferance it appears is you have to presort all of your letters and there is no forwarding or returns. There is a permit fee of $150 and an imprinting fee of another $150. But with 10,000 you could definately come out ahead. When I talked to them previously I was only given the First Class bulk rate and after the $150 fee it cost more.
    Thanks.

8. Nebraska

Dan the postal service is a BIG PITA! They are absolutely no help in sharing the hoops that one must go through for bulk mail; it's almost like the bulk mailing companies pay them off to keep it a secret.

With the presort, you can purchase lists that are presorted by postal route.