1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mailing lists

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by billc, Mar 6, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Do any of you buy mailing lists to do your own direct mailings?

http://list.infousa.com sells lists. One for my target area has 6200+ addresses for $425. You can also focus on income range, gender, etc to narrow the list further. You can add phone numbers for an extra charge.

From your experience, is this a good deal?
  2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we use infousa and have been mostly satisfied. you will get a percentage returned back to you for various reasons, so dont be supprised.
    I like that they email the list as soon as you order it in excel format and you can convert to mailing labels easily.

now, try www.vistaprint.com for postcards or brochures you can design your own upload pictures and the quality is top notch.

good luck with your marketing

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

20 returned out of 1000 is 2% which is pretty standard for any mailing list.
    1000 from whitepages.com probably took a little while to get them then print them on a mailing label

Billc says he's looking at 6000plus. for that number buying a list is much more cost effective, in my opinion.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi BillC,

Here is another post that had more mailing list suggestions.
  6. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Thanks TG! I appreciate the help.
  7. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

went to http://www.worldinfodata.com/ and just bought 27,000 names/ addresses for $100

supposed to get the email monday w/ the excel file

I will narrow down the addresses myself in the areas i want to get

the example file they sent me had
    First Name Last Name Adult Gender Street Address City State ZIP Code Phone Number County MSA Carrier Route Delivery Point Income Home Value MailOrder-Golf MailOrder-Pet Owner MailOrder-Personal Computers MailOrder-Electronics Products MailOrder-Health&Excercise MailOrder-Crafts&Sewing MailOrder-Books&Music MailOrder-Investments/Finance MailOrder-Outdoor Recreation MailOrder-Entertainment&Travel MailOrder-Sweepstakes&Gambling MailOrder-Photographic Equipment MailOrder-Stamps&Coins MailOrder-Sport Cards&Collectibles MailOrder-Magazines MailOrder-Apparel MailOrder-Children Items Mail Order Indicator Cat Owner Dog Owner High Tech Household
  8. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

In my county, I can look up tax records on the countys website. I can find addresses,home values on the street and even the sq.ft. of the yards.

I used the mailing address from the tax records and I have gotten several jobs from sending letters. Best off all its free
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You might check with your state's regulations, but the last time I got a mailing list in the state of Kansas, they were not able to use deed titles. They had to go off a cencus that was old. I had maybe 30 calls from 5,000 postcards. Also, remember if you purchase your mailing list from a print company that will also print your postcards, they can print your target addresses on the postcard. This will elimante the need to print labels and apply those labels to the postcard. If money is an issue, I would have the postcards, doorhanges or flyers printed and then hand deliver them to your target area.
  10. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

How and where do you get the tax records? In the city where I live I can look it up in the assessor's database but I have to do one by one and it's time consuming.