1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mailing out brochures

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dig-it Landscaping, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am fairly new at running my own landscaping business and I was wondering how other businesses results were with mailing out brochures? Is it worth the time and money? Or do you typically not see any results? Then what should i include in the brochure and in what format? Does anyone have an example of a brochure that has worked in the past? Thankyou in advance for any help.
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Dig-it Landscaping,

Here is a quote from this post.

"I believe that the response rate for direct mail is supposed to be 1% to 3% low side to high side."
  3. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

Okay Check this out I just made 25,000 nice color stock fliyers. Total print Job 3800... On the last page I got 5 different bus. To put their ad. on the back ...... I call the brochure "welcome to your new home"... I charge the Bussiness 1500 each. Know I only do new developments... But in California that = 1000's of home. I got 4 friends to help me past them out... In 4 days we pass out all 25,000... I paid them 100 each a day.... Ontop of that I got 27 calls for myself 10 of them is a go... The rest Iam working on... My profir MArgin is $1800*10=18000... So from the brochure I maid $2500 along...NOt Bad I recommend You try it
  4. Black95gt

Black95gt LawnSite Member

i park in a parking garage at my full-time job. Every once in awhile i get a flyer on my windshield. Would anybody recomend doing this? or not doing this?
  5. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah that sounds cool... I dont know what kind of customers you are looking for. Me I hit the local Safeways on the weekend. I know 90% of thease customers are coming from a new development.. Always remember The more you pass out the more call you get
  6. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

In all the years I have been in business I have never passed out anything. I have business card but I give them to clients and potential clients that I talk with one on one. The best advertising is the word of mouth!!! I turn away more people than I take in anymore, but I might try to pass out brochures when I am not so busy like maybe when I am retired.
  7. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Not really recommending using the whole 'under the wiper' technique. There are a few threads here that state if they start blowing around you could get nailed for littering, or a bill to have all the fliers cleaned up. Plus, usually you associate expensive sports cars with people who have money, such as a Porsche 911 Turbo vs. a Honda Accord. Plus all the really expensive cars have alarms, some more sensitive than others, personally I don't see a person running out to their car (which is currently going off at 1,000,000 decibles) thinking that someone just stole something, only to find a flier under their wiper, not a great first impression in my book. :angry:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you stick flyers on windshields you have no way of knowing where those people live. That's OK if you're just starting up, trying to get any work you can, but sooner than later you'll want to target specific areas. Better to put them out IN the neighborhoods you're targeting.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

MAILINGS are not worth it in my opinion.

If you pay FIRST CLASS RATE of 37 cents each, you are getting killed in postage for a mass mailing. If you do BULK RATE, you get a much lower rate but have to do SO MUCH SORTING that it isn't worth it.

To me FLYERing is the way to go. You get the EXACT market you want at just pennies a flyer. There are people in my area that will deliver them for 5 cents a house, which includes printing. I can't do it myself for that cheap!

10. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

Who do you get to distribute them? Are they just kids or are there companies u can hire?