Mailing Postcard Question???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by myoder, Mar 2, 2004.

1. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

Today I put together a post card sized flyer that I want to send to potential clients... I went to a couple of areas I currently have customers and drove down the street writing down the numbers of peoples mailboxes that I would like to send the post cards to.
    So my question is, If I mail these post cards out, can I get into any trouble with the post office or anybody??? Any info will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

As long as they apply to postal regulations you are fine , If not sure go to post office and ask. Instead of driving by and writing down adresses , look into a criss cross dirrectory . Stewarts criss cross is one. It will have the names adresses and phone numbers listed by street , I believe now its available on disc and you can pick a road , street or community and do a dirrect mail and print adresses off your computer.

3. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

Before I go to the post office tomorrow, do you know off hand, what, if any, postal regulations I might be violating? Is there a website for the stewart's criss cross? Thanks Mdirrigation

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

try this site www.whitepages.com you can just enter the street name , zip and state and it will bring people on that street.

5. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

So I went to whitepages.com and found all the address #'s with names and phone numbers... Is it okay to use their names and mail them my post cards???

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

7. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

So as long as I comply with those regulations, I should be able to send the postcards to the potential clients I want to, RIGHT???

Will anybody(post office, mailing list company, potential client) get excited if they recieve a postcard from me and I mailed it to them by driving down the road writing down their address???

I think I am just being paranoid... but I just want to keep myself out of trouble.

Thanks

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You didnt steal any mailing list, you paid for your stamp, and theres no law against driving and writing. So if anyone calls, tell them to call the police.

9. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

Thanks lawnman, I didn't think anything was wrong with that, but I just wanted to be sure...

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

what i did was put current resident on the labels. then you dont have to type each name , you can copy and paste current resident. saves alot of time.