1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fairways, Mar 15, 2006.

1. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

Just wanted to get some different opinions on this scenario....Mailing lets say 3000 direct mail pieces to houses or mailing 1500 pieces twice to the same house a few weeks apart, what do you think will see better results?
  2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You would get better results with 3000. Better branding with 1500.
  3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most advertising books will tell you repetition is key. Articles I have read said at least 3X....others have said up to 7X.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

No matter how many times this question comes up, no one seems to have any hard #s to back up there numbers.

I think the 7x number is bull.
  6. cha-chas plowing and lawn

cha-chas plowing and lawn LawnSite Member

i would say 3000 is good you would get more takers that way have a chance at more cust to choose frome are son make all are cards and flyers:clapping:
  7. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

To answer the question you all may have, the 1500 twice was more effective with a 2% return the first round and a 5% return the second vs. a 1.7% return on 3000
  8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well thats interesting! Does that have anything to do with the timing of the year...or the weather?
  9. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

Actually sent 1500 to neighborhood A on Feb 15, and then the second round on March 1st, Also on march 1st first I sent the 3000 to neighboorhood B. Got better results from the split mailing
  10. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Great post - thanks for sharing your results. You can read marketing books 'til your blue in the face about reach and repetition. You just demonstrated in the real world that reach (sending out 3,000) is not as effective as coupling it with repetition. Maybe some of the guys that write these textbooks actually know what they are talking about.