Mailings are the way to go!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PLM-1, Oct 8, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

After reading on here about direct mailing and fliers and the unsuccessful attempts by many i thought i would just give it a shot anyway. I sent out 10 to property managers and got 9 calls back. I won the bids on 8 huge accounts for next year. Hopefully i can keep up. I think i am going to have to hire employees! On new accounts i have a total of 11 large apartment complexes and 6 townhouse developments and several stand-alone homes...gosh...hopefully i am not over my head. I figured i should try and get as many accounts as possible and hire accordingly. payup

2. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Hey Joplin,

How's the business going there this time of year? I'm originally from Neosho. Grass about ready to quit growing? Here in Alabama it is very steady. My brother owned a Sign Company there in Joplin and designed my logo.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Joplin Mower,

That is just outstanding! Congratulations!

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

LawnSmith - business is slowing down...i have more time to work on next year. The yards with irrigation are still growing crazy while the others are either bermuda or finished for the season...then comes that wonderful leaf season!

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

wow, great turn out, i was considering using mailings this year, thats great, good luck next season!

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow thats great! I was contemplating doing the same thing down here in Wichita. Everyone told me it wouldn't work. So I never tried! I decided to go into the Landscaping part rather than the Lawn Care part after much consideration. I sent out 19 letters and got 3 calls for Estimates. Won one so far, I think the other 2 might wait until spring. I thought I was going good!

7. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

What exactly did you mail to these 10 people?? some type of card or self mailer, or a letter?? I currently work for a business mailing company as my day job, and believe me, that type of success is unheard of.
    greg
    bottlefed89@hotmail.com

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Tell me about it...we did 10K full color 5 1/4 X 8 flyers via direct mail with a mailing co. this spring in March and April. I think March's mailing got 35 calls(.0035% response), and 6 sales(16% closing), and April's got 43(.0043% response) calls and 8 sales(12.5% closing)...far less than the 2-3 % we were hoping to get...

9. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

where did you find the property managers addresses and what did you send them??? how did you know they were out to bid. im looking to get into commercial cutting (apartments, stores, etc) but i just cant get in. i send them a flier in the mail to the store with attn:property manager but i havnt got a call back yet.

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcat, sending fliers to the store probably ends up in the junk mail pile the owner may never see. 90% of what I receive for my businesses goes that route just due to sheer volume.

I'd put on your Sunday best and hoof it to the store locations, intro yourself to the top person available and at least leave them info in person.

As for rental properties, one method is to write down addresses of buildings and look them up on your county recorder/treasure's website, if one exists. You'll find ownership info and some form of mailing address to send info to.

Tony