Main grass types in PA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moose's Mowing, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

Can somebody educate me as to the main types of grass that is seen in South Eastern PA? It all looks the same around my area, at least to me. I just want to know more about the type of grasses I'll be mowing. I did some searching on Google, but I have a real tough time making out the differences. Would it be safe to say I'll be mowing mainly some type of Fescue?

Thanks in advance

2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

i would imagine kentucky blue, fescues, rye and bent grass

just research cool season grasses

3. Moose's Mowing

thanks. I did come up with mainly cool season grasses. Is there much of a difference between the different types? Would it be safe to assume I can mow all types at 3" - 3.5"? I mow my personal yard slightly taller than the neighbors. Our summers here burn the hell out of lawns and I like the better striping with the taller height. Isn't bent grass the stuff they use on putting greens? I remember mowing a putting green at a retirement community years ago. I'd mow it every damn morning and it didn't look any different than it did before I mowed it???? Is bentgrass common in lawns?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

we have a little bit of everything

6. Moose's Mowing

where at in PA are you at?

7. towtruck212

towtruck212 LawnSite Member

Your going to see mostly KBG and tall fescue.... I wouldnt mow any shorter than 2" and as high as you want.