Main Line Question Need Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FNCPonds, Aug 15, 2007.

1. FNCPonds

FNCPonds LawnSite Member

I build ponds in the North Texas area. and was wondering how you guys can map out the main line for the irrigation system so i can add my autofill valve for my ponds. Where do you normally run the main line and how would i locate this main line without digging the whole yard up? THanks and any and all advice would be very helpfully Thanks Again

Cole Frisby
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Plan "A" there a valve box with a zone valve in the area?
    Plan 'B"..most (I say MOST) contractors run their valve wire under the main or, at least, in the same trench. A 521 locator can show you how close you
    are, if the irrigation contractor was smart (ho ho), he'd had spare wire. Cut
    into his wire & run a "shunt" wire for your refill & hook into the clock with a new valve, got a spare zone @ the clock?,or add
    a "Bob's valve" for manual refill, they look like a toilet float, but work.
    Plan.."C".. you're screwed, blued & tattooed.:)
  3. Pretty good chance their is a valve in the backyard. Why don't you spend a little extra and hire a contractor to teach you how to track wire and mainline and put in your autofill. We repair stuff pond people do all the time and tell the customer about what a lousy job the pond people did.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Asbuilts are the best way but VERY few contractors supply them to the owner. I think it's because they never learned how to use crayons as a child. :)

Each system is dependent on the plot plan and what needs to be accomplished. There is no universal method of running main lines.

Get a wire tracer (i.e. 521 or equivalent) and trace the valves' common wire since most likely it is with the main line and has to go to/through each valve.

Or... get someone who is a competent witcher (NOT dowser)... not scientific but rather witchcraft.