MAIN reason you don't get the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 26, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

For a lot of us, estimate season is right around the corner. What do you think is the MAIN reason the customer doesn't close the deal with you?
    Now some of you may say you are closing almost all of your estimates.... well in my opinion that's NOT good either. We get a little over HALF of the estimates we go on that we interested in servicing, but there were some years it was less than 50%. Is it price, your image, lack of experience, no salesmanship on your part... why when it's all said and done, why isn't Mrs Smith using your service?

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its a combination of price and image. If your image can not back up your price then many people will not go for it, no matter how good you are. Often people want to 1 up the jones, and even if you produce a golf course quality cut, if you roll up and unload out of the back of your 1989 safari, they don't want it.

Personally, some times I feel I don't sound as professional as I should, adding unneeded information. Some people don't like how I pull a figure out of my head, say $100 a cut, instead of crunching numbers. In the end, I figure I value my services, and if they want a level of quality that I will provide, they will pay the price.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

well then i'm scr3w3d unless some1 appreciates a 1972 GMC Sierra pickup stopping right by their front yard. but IMO that's a sharp truck if i get say, a half metallic blue half jet black paint job on it:cool2:

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it really matters all that much, not to say it's not important, but I get lowballed whether I show up in the '86 dodge with nothing, or the '95 SLT Laramie with the Z in tow. Granted, it's still not brand new, but the later outfit looks a lot newer, still...
    With the old truck they figure my name is Sandford, but with a nice shiny outfit they figure I got money and that means I'm giving it away.

The main reason(s) I don't close are pricing and work requirements, most folks want a whole lot for nothing, so to sum it up 9 out of 10 customers aren't willing to spend the money required (to do what is necessary).

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I'm often left wondering how the other guy got the job. By looking at quite a few company's in my area leaves me wondering, just by the looks of that guy how he even got through the front door. In many places around here, you go from a "yuppy" HOA to a half mile down the road and find trailers. Sometimes I think your image can hurt you right off the bat. You pull up in a nice new Super Duty, new, professioanlly lettered enclosed trailer and your met at the door with, "I might have wasted your time, you look too expensive for me". We land at least 50-65% of our estimates. So that tells me we're doing all right, we're booked into late May early June for work this season so far.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I get about 50% of the lawn bids. I think it is price and timing, but I don't really know why.

If the customer looks like a PITA, I bid very high. If they seem nice, I bid just plain high.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I would say mine is a bit higher than that, probably about 80%. The people that i do not get the job from i would say are shoppers. They would rather have the neighborhood kid mow their lawn. Or they just call a few lcos just to see how much of a deal they can get.
    Some most likely do not even want to hire anyone, Just seeing how much you charge and to see if they think they can get over on you.

8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

In my area its all about pricing for the most part. There is one company in my city that has a bunch of 20+ yr. old Chevy trucks sprayed flat olive green, rusted to hell and back, and equipment that looks like it went WWII. He has so many accounts, its unreal. He bids very cheap cause he doesn't have any over head, and he gets them. There are certain areas about 20 miles away, towards Pittsburgh, that are good money areas. Thats where I'm trying to concentrate my business at.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

On average I only pick up around 30%-40% and most are commercial or high end residential. I get alot of calls in the spring mainly residential looking for someone to mow their lawn during the season and most but not all are looking for the lowest price around. I was blessed with the gift of gab and the ability to sell ice to an eskamo. As a rule I sell myself first then my business. I let them know the different places we take care of so if they want to take a look they can see for themselves then I let them know I have trained personel and the equipment to take care of all of their needs now and any future needs. If their not looking for the lowest cutter around and want quality I pick up 80% of what I look at.

10. cut-1

cut-1 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. I've been a member for a couple of months now. This is my first post and I am a newbie on a computer altogether so let's see if I can post something correctly! Just thought i would jump in on this thread. My area is full of 55$ a month guys (1/4) lots, so most of if not all of my customers to be don't bite cause I'm a bit higher than the rest. I have been getting them though, slowly but surely, I think I'll have a full schedule this summer! Sorry long post?