Main Reroute and Isolation Valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 13, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Weather permitting, we'll be starting a project tomorrow to cut into a 6" main line, set an RW isolation valve on a new 4" main line spur and then take that main 80' to the last valve of a very circuitous main line in order to feed the eastern half of a football practice field and some non-field areas of a football stadium. This will put these valves within 200' of the pump instead of being fed from a 1200' circuitous route off of a 3" main line.

These first pictures show some of the prep work today of getting the isolation valve all set up. It's a 4" RW valve with Van Stone PVC flanges bolted onto the flanged valve. We'll end up glueing this into the line where we want it. Reason we're going this route is so we solvent weld all joints and don't have to pour thrust blocks.

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-01.jpg

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-02.jpg

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-03.jpg

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-04.jpg

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-05.jpg

2. PurpHaze

These pictures show the 6" x 4" tee that we set up for installation. We always mark a ring around big diameter pipe so we get a square cut. We'll then cut it into the 6" main line using Dresser couplings.

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-06.jpg

GWHS Football Field Isolation Valve-Main IV-07.jpg

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Id like to see how this repair call turned out

4. PurpHaze

No rain today so we'll be starting on it in about an hour. I'll post progress pics tonight. :)

5. This should be posted in the utility contractor section......lol

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What, never worked with big pipe?

Its a lot more fun than small pipe in my opinion.

7. Biggest pipe we have worked with was a couple of 3" mains. After fixing a 3" tee that was leaking, 1" piping seemed micro small.

8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Purp, I thought that you spend enough time on the irrigation threads until I seen your daily work on the off topic threads, nice. My favorite part was when you said ur wife helps you. That's a good women. And I am gonna ignore how you stated u help her in return.

9. PurpHaze

That's pretty much what Leo said today. He's enjoying the "big pipe" experience because we've done so many main line repairs this winter. He's getting more and more comfortable with it all the time but I have to cut him back sometimes so I can do some of the work. He used to be satisfied just doing the peripheral work but now he's enjoying doing the nitty-gritty stuff and gaining the experience. He'll be ready to take over when I leaves later this year. :)

10. PurpHaze

I DO have a good woman. :)