Maine-10 Day Forecast-RAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hillndale, May 23, 2005.

1. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I've read plenty of you say you mow in the rain - but really, what does the yard look like? Do you wear rubber boots and rainsuits with water dripping down your face? Do you wheel your big Z through soggy turf and rut up the yard and leave clods all over? Or do you push mow it or what? I'm freakin' out up here!!! The season has basically just started and the grass is a growin'. It doesn't look too good. Rained steady for 2 days and 60%-80% chance for next 10 days. I guess you just mow during the "chance" part. Thanks for any feedback or at this point consoling :cry: Yea , I got some mulchin to do and finish up a clean-up or two, but it's the lawns man, the lawns!!!

Don't mean to whine, but ya gotta admit, it's a major bummer :laugh:

hillndale

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've only had to deal with rain a handful of times so far. I mow until it gets soggy and I feel like I'm about to do damage or until I see clumps. I keep a good book in the truck and I'll just park and wait out the storm in front of a customer's property. As soon as there is a break (assuming there is not a lot of standing water and really soggy stuff that can't be mowed without damage), I get out and start mowing. You might also bring some of your paperwork with you and get caught up on that.

I think the important part is to have everything staged and ready to go. You don't want to get a break in the weather and waste it getting your stuff loaded up and driving to a job, only to have the rain start up again as soon as you get there.

3. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Send some of that rain back here. We will GLADLY take it. But you're right mowing in between rains is tough

4. hillndale

from Maine

Thanks pagefault-- I am starting to set a gameplan. just gotta adjust the mindset to work in opposite conditions. This isn't the passing storm kind, but more a total canopy of gray -- Your suggestion sounds suitable for detective work -- I may take that up, come to think of it. LOL

5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It really does stink i'm about 2 weeks behind and it dosen't look like i'm going to catch up anytime soon.... :cry:

Ron

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Do you not mow when there is dew on the grass as well? If someone ran their sprinklers over night? They're called floatation tires for a reason! Rain gear, no lightning, no standing water(take a guess what THAT does to your blades!) Do you think the guys in Seattle stop when it rains? If so, when would they ever mow? Riders have plenty of power to take on wet grass, it would be worse to let it get knee high and try to cut it back to 3 inches, from a plant health perspective. Keep your blades sharp and stay on schedule.

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Its a little wetter than morning dew, more like saturated. The ground is too soft to ride my Z over. I plan on doing the last couple of mulch jobs, and doing PM on equipment.

8. hillndale

from Maine

Thanks LBLandscaping - you tell 'em!!!

But are you gonna mow? Or wait it out?

hillndale

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm going to wait it out not worth the extra time it takes to mow in this weather to me, to messy to slow. Customers will understand that there is only so much you can do. I'm in Portland where are you???

10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

now you know what it was like down here last summer 4 hurricanes talk about wet ,i parked the z and just ran the 36 (no velke) and the 21 hang in there,i had to work 7 days a week for a full 6 weeks just to stay caught up