Maine Trailer Registration?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dstosh, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in reading up on registering my trailers in maine. I know you can get semi permanent tags. I tried a search, but not much turned up. If anyone can shed some light on this I would appriciate it. Thanks.

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes i dont have the # but call information in Jefferson Maine, Staab agency. They are nice people and can save you money and hassle from local DMV. I have 5 there, and the nice thing is if you buy a new trailer you dont have to pay your state sales tax to get registered. There is not a big savings on small trailers, but a body of mine saved a lot on a 10 ton low boy. Any trouble getting the # email me at www.bobcatservice33.com
    Mike

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me understand this...you want to register your trailer in Maine when you're from New york? Why?

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Here's a tip don't do it! The DOT are coming down with anybody with Maine plates.I got this from the Dot supervisor.

5. Dstosh

I beleive that there are cheeper renewal rates. I was just interested in reading up on it to see if it would be worth it. I have a 7 ton that costs over 150 bucks a year to register and it is up in december and it kinda sucks forking over that kind of cabbage in the winter. I just wanted to see if it was worth it.

Grandview, How come they are going after those guys?

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you're complaining about registering a trailer for $150 on a piece of equipment that hauls around equipment that probably could make $150/hr!?

7. Dstosh

I just wanted to see what the reality of it is bud.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

sorry, I haven't had my breakfast yet this morning. Don't you have to drive to maine to get it registered? or is this something you can do online?

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It's all about the taxes.And you better have a seperate insurance policy on it. DOT guys are asking for it at inspection sites.

10. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Maine donen't require trailers to be insured.