1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. nortonlawncare

nortonlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys anyone know where I can pick up a railroad tie? I have to replace one that got hot with our plow. It was a great email from the customer claiming he paid 1000 for it
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, time to drop that customer. lol How nice does it have to be? grab one along side railroads, they replace them and throw them off to the side. hahahha No but seriously any construction place has them, EBS, VIKING, etc. anywhere from $5-$30, depending on condition and whether they have metal in them or not. Good luck! I've had one complaint about damaging a barberry bush and bumping some stones off a flimsy stone wall right at the entrance to driveway but that's it. Had the very narrow aprons - I apologized told him we would fix it in the spring or pay him to get it fixed, then gave him a $50 credit and replaced the stones as best we could. He was pretty happy and I'm thinking he'll forget about it. lol

Jason

3. nortonlawncare

I told him I would replace the damaged piece this spring,. It's just funny how he sent the email the day before I send bills out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

I would definitely call him out on the $1000 statement - how stupid does he think we are??

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

It's only natural to be upset about some damage done, but to make up absurd numbers is inexcusable. IMO.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I might take this summer off I have close to 15k in railroad ties being used as dunnage out back :hammerhead:payup

7. nortonlawncare

If I had known they were so expensive I would have invested in railroad ties a long time ago
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Do any of you guys have automatic increases each year, or how do you handle that? I am going to have our agreements auto-renew starting this season and was thinking it would be nice to have an automatic increase built into the agreement instead of contacting each customer when we need to increase. Maybe a 1.5% increase per year? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Jason

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Disregard. Already figured it out! =D

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Okay guys......ramping up for the season!! When are you starting cleanups? We did 2 before this last snow storm, but because of how many snow banks are left, I'm thinking we won't be able to start until April 8th. Very excited about getting "back to work" again - this is going to be a good year. Get some good people on board and be more organized and more efficient. Let the game begin! =D