Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

First you have a very ambitious plan so congratulations on that.

I'd read procuts thread about failure. Great read about what not to do while expanding. Key points that I took from it was his failure to adequately recoup overhead. Small crew you don't realize it, but factor in 15+ employees like you're planning with support staff not being directly billed to the customer and things can go downhill quickly.

Good luck this season :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. t-10yrs2retire

t-10yrs2retire LawnSite Member

Thanks jrs. That thread was very enlightening. I have saved it to read again and again. There is alot of information within these forums and on the net in general but wading through it is mind boggling at best. I appreciate the good honest help!! Business is new to me and I need all the help I can get. I have been going slow and have plenty of time to perfect my endgame. I put up a high bar for my self but at the same time will be realistic as I go. Again, thanks a bunch guys!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. t-10yrs2retire

Anyone going to the Bangor garden show today?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Anyone go? How was it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. t-10yrs2retire

Posted via Mobile Device

6. t-10yrs2retire

It was pretty decent. I stopped by Gagne n sons (sp?) Booth to check on the ICPI course they do every year only to find I had missed it by 2 weeks. Guess there was a pretty good turn out they had like 50 show up for it.

As for the show there were some decent scapes set up. There are people out there that do some nice work. I wanna grow up to be like them.

Then there were venders selling just plain crap and stuff that didnt have anything to do with gardening at all.

I enjoy it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Where does gagne hold the course?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. t-10yrs2retire

He said it was in Portland I think this year. He also said they try and move it around every year. From what I am hearing its worth the green. Might see how this year pays out and look for something over the winter to attend even if it means a road trip.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd join a road trip over the winter.....

10. t-10yrs2retire

Nice! let me see how things work out. I think it would be well worth the trip! In the mean time I can lay a few blocks around here for starters.
    Posted via Mobile Device