1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

We use advantage very similar. ..... Had good luck and u do everything online. ... They also have an office in Auburn I think which is very helpful.

2. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

That would be me, sort of. I don't do it for fun and if all I can do is break even, I raise the price or quit the customer. My biggest problem is the idiots with the two man crew doing jobs for 25 bucks, after I bid 65.

Most of what I do is not mainstream. I checked out one job today that had more dog crap than grass. They will clean the place up and I will mow their sparse 1/3 acre. No guaranty that the grass will recover. I suggested a new lawn installation, which I do not do.

I won't do anything for less than 35.

3. t-10yrs2retire

t-10yrs2retire LawnSite Member

STICKER SHOCK!!!! I was thinking of adding someone part time just some summer help while the kids are out of school. Now mind you as I have explained before I am just a part timer with full time as a short term goal. I was looking for only 10-20 hrs of help a week and would pay $10/hr. I was quoted $881/yr for workers comp. Bangor svgs will do the paycheck thing for $37 biweekly. Bangor svgs was reasonable. Comes to $1.85/hr. The comp is anywhere between $6.70-$5.20/hr (more hrs its less)!!! So paying a guy $10/hr +$6.70+1.85 comes out to $18.55!!!!!! Holy crap!!!! On my way to accountant for other reasons but I will be asking what this does to me and if its worth it just so im not turning anymore work down. Ughhhh...trying to do things right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

$881 is the minimum they will write a policy for.

Price will go down with more employee hours.

Also make sure you specify what takes the employee will be doing, if you just say landscaping they'll interpret it how they want. Don't want to be paying a higher rate because they think he's running a saw and all he does is trim grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. t-10yrs2retire

yes that was the min. I called them back twice wih a "are you sure???" And I did explain it was lawn mowing/trimming. Accountant is looking into what my total costs will be minus w/comp so I get a better handle on what I will be paying. At these rates whoever I hire has to save me atleast a 1/3 of my time to justify it. May have to just keep on keepin on myself and taking what I can handle alone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, and people wonder why we have to charge so much.....

7. allagashpm

allagashpm LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys thought I would pop in and say hello. I post more on plowsite when its slow out, but read up on here all the time. Hope you're all having a great season. Preston
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Plowguy43

Plowguy43 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I also post (A lot) over at plowsite and have met a lot of the guys over the years. I figured I'd come over here during the summer months as well. Been plowing as a side business since 2007 for a local bank doing strictly foreclosed properties which has worked out really well.

As of recent, I've changed careers and am now a Licensed insurance agent in Maine/NH (and Mass). I've already helped a few of the guys over at Plowsite and would love the opportunity to help anyone over here. I live in Otisfield Maine, my office is family owned & operated in Norway Maine.

We have a really aggressive market (low pricing) for Landscape, Excavation, Carpentry, Contactors and have options for Workers Comp as well.

t-10yrs2retire - I just sent a note into my workers comp company to see if we have a lower minimum premium, if we do I'll let you know.

My name is Bobby, nice to meet you all!

9. t-10yrs2retire

thanks Bobby.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Plowguy43

Plowguy43 LawnSite Member

Looks like I may have an option. I'll send you a message and see if we can't figure it out.
    edit- apparently I can't send a private message. Maybe I need more posts.
    Posted via Mobile Device