Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea. I havent done it but am sure a lot of people would be on board. The thought of spreading 2-3 yds with a push spreader sounds rough though
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. thelawnduke

thelawnduke LawnSite Member

Yeah it's definitely a labor gig. Good job for a 16 year old and hard to mess up. But again the numbers are good. If it turned into a big niche I could see going for the self propelled spreader down the road
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Bit the bullet on a Gravely 460 today.....this thing is a beast - 31 Kawi. Always had Toro or Deere before this, so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

4. pomticks

pomticks LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have rented the ecolawn compost spreader in the past and that beats a shovel and wheelbarrow. It works well as long as the compost is pretty dry and you have some square footage to cover. If your composting full days or a full week it's worth it. Such an even spread. Still charge your sqft price but your done in so much less time. Not sure I would buy one at 5k but the rental charge was worth it all day. You can see their website at ecolawnapplicator.com

5. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

well i bought a new zero turn and trailer last week so i didn't have to push mow any more. well i thought id be able to get some work to help pay for this thing. i can't even get a bite on noting. i did get one account new to do some tree pruning and trimming around his yard but thats about it… thought for sure i could get some mulching, planting gravel something for work but don't know where to begin

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Would of been better off spending that money on advertising.

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You don't have to kick the kid when he's down, I'm pretty sure he gets it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Have you tried networking? Now is the time guys are giving up and customers are looking for new companies. Bigger companies get a lot of leads they don't want and might be willing to hand off to you. Keep plugging and use this to understand needs vs wants in the future when making purchases, good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes time - I am a little over 7 years in and we are now so busy we have to turn away work. Patience, do good work, be honest, advertise and it'll grow. Are you good at selling? If not read some books on it, learn what you can if you have down time. With all the dry and hot weather lately, it's a hard time of year to pick up new customers when they are trying to get their cut back to EOW already. Like Chris said though, network a bit and make friends with other contractors - carpenters etc, then they'll start recommending you for jobs that you offer service for.

10. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Any fertilizer guys in or around Rockland or Camden. I am from southern Ga owner fertilizer company small