Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you located ? how many accounts did you have before you bought it ? What are you doing for advertising? It takes time you need to walk before you run especially this time of year. You can still get calls this time of year but most customers aren't actively looking. What did you get for a mower? Good luck. Anyone down south get hit with that micro burst on Tuesday?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

It went through near my wife's work, she said the pictures on the news didn't do it justice. Bet the tree companies are busy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It's something kinda neat when your crew leader find's a new customer, gives a good estimate and adds them to the route. I'm filling in for him today and I just realized I will have to get directions to a few of them - never seen the property, but they have been happy customers all season. A good feeling to finally have a good basic system that is much more than I could handle alone.

4. t-10yrs2retire

t-10yrs2retire LawnSite Member

Just hired my first employee. PT and only 10hrs/wk. And through a temp service but seemed to work out good after the first day. He had a little lawn care experience so I gave him a shot. Willl see how it goes. Numbers looked good and it freed up some time so that I can add some more work. I am cautiously optimistic! !!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Plowguy43

Plowguy43 LawnSite Member

Nice, I've seen some of the work you've been doing on facebook - you do some quality work!

Congrats, hope it works out for you and allows you to grow :drinkup:

6. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Thank you, Sir....that means a lot to us!

7. t-10yrs2retire

Hi all, hope everyone's seasons are doing well! I have a customer looking to get their lawn top dressed only problem is I dont have a machine to do it. I checked Sun Belt rentals and they dont list one either. Anyone know where I can rent one? Other suggestions? Its about 25,000 sqft. Thanks for any help.

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

That's a tough one. With a lawn area that big you really would be better off with a spreader. What are they topdressing with? If it's fine enough and you get a big enough spreader, you might be able to use that. Are they going to overseed as well? You also might just spread it lightly with a small small tractor bucket and then use a couple backpacks to thin it out and spread it around. Just trying to think outside the box a bit here. Is aeration an option instead?

9. t-10yrs2retire

No they just want the top dressing. I have never done a top dress. I think its to add nutrition to the soil by top dressing with a good compost. Aeration helps get that nutrient into the ground faster.

Their reason is that she can feel the holes from moles and such when walking bare foot so they say they want a half inch of topsoil and rolled out.

Im going to swing over and talk with them. I dont think what they want is going to do them any good. I have cut this lawn all summer and havnt once seen a mole. They do have a few chipmunks around that have been digging holes in all the gardens so may be its them...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Hate to tell them, but 1/2" of topsoil ain't gonna discourage moles. LOL But I'm sure you know that! hahah Keep us posted. Take some pictures of the "problem" - glad to help!