Mainline Mayhem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Digging new mainline in at my house today, ran into a few problems.

1) Attempting to get trench level with where I'm going to cut into the meter. Ended up being 30" deep at the end of the first run. I bet your jealous Rotar, a straight hand dug trench.

2) But Oops, run into neighbors gas line. Now WTF is my neighbors gas line doing in my yard.

3) Continue on, darn stump is right in the way

4) Not anymore

5) Oops, another surprise. Darn neighbors phone line is also in my yard. This one I don't think I can fix without calling phone co. 2 feet more to the right and it would have been on their property. Idiots!

Was planing on bringing up the line to 12" depth anyhow near the house so I can put in my emergency flood shutoff valve and pre-filter, guess this means I'm going to do it at the 45 jog towards the house instead.

DSCN1627.jpg

DSCN1646.jpg

DSCN1635.jpg

DSCN1640.jpg

DSCN1643.jpg

2. I'm trying to figure out your yard layout and how the neighbors stuff got in your yard. I'm assuming the first pic is from the street towards the house. The meter is at the street not the alley? It looks like you are digging in front of your house and across.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, front yard, meter at the street. First pic I'm just about standing on the sidewalk looking towards the neighbors house. The houses share a common wall, which is probably the source of confusion.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Very confusing to have your neighbor's utilities on your property. Kind of makes you wonder where your utilities are and if they're subject to someone else having to be careful when they do work on their property.

Does the common wall form a patio garden buffer zone between the houses or is it more like condos/duplexes?

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It's more like condo's. If you drive down the street, they all look like individual houses, but on closer inspection you see there is no backyard access from the street. It is essentially a block long house.

Sucks having the neighbors utilities in our yard. If for some reason they need to be repaired/replaced, we get the joy of having our yard ripped up.

Given where our utilities enter the house, they are most likely all on our property, as they should be.

BTW Purp, what is your most common method for sealing up nicks in the plastic gas line coating or do you just ignore them?

6. PurpHaze

Our plumbers wrap 20 mil tape around such areas.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting. I usually ignore the small nicks. I got some small nicks in the coating at the house, nothing major. Unlike some people, I stop digging when I hit something hard until I know what it is. :)

Wonder if that 20 mil pipe wrap will work on the phone line. ;)

8. PurpHaze

I should of explained a little better. If the line is the older black pipe with "rubberized coating" they'll wrap it to aid in corrosion control of the pipe itself. If it's newer roll-out gas line it all depends on the depth of the scratch. If it's minor then they'll let it go. If it's bigger/deeper then they'll wrap it. Although this doesn't reestablish the overall integrity of the line it aids against future abrasion in that spot that might lead to potential leaks. If it's extremely bad then they'll bring a contractor in to fusion weld a repair section. Either way... use as clean backfill as possible within a few inches of the pipe so debris rubbing against the spot is minimized.

9. PurpHaze

If it's just the insulation that is nicked and all the internal wiring is intact I'd just use some good wraps of electrical tape on phone line. It's a little more pliable and easier to use on situations like this. I've seen some contractors use silicone fill first and then wrap the area. I do know that left unattended moisture may occur creating a "line buzz" on the phone. Prior to getting DSL in our area on our main phone line we had a separate phone line for our dial-up modems. We experienced buzz and disconnects directly related to moisture getting to this line. Phone company has been out twice, removed one of my best lavendar rose bushes and repaired the line in the ground to no avail. They stated that the moisture had moved its way down the sheathing and the entire line would require replacement. Fortunately DSL became available and we discontinued the second line. No problems since.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: TIC comment. I've done alot of phone line work over the years.

The phone line is nicked in a couple of spots, and 2 spots right into the wire itself including a broken green (best I could tell during a near dark inspection).

Based on the sound the gas pipe made when I hit it, and given the place is 30+ years old, I'm betting wrapped black pipe. I considered for a very brief moment putting a torch to it to melt it back over the nick. ;)