Mainline

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jabbo, May 4, 2006.

1. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Would it be ok to run 1" cl 200 for my mainline? 13 gpm at 50 psi.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yes.

How long is this mainline?

3. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

The line for the front yard is about 232'(I know thats a pretty good ways) and the other one that will T off of it to do the backyard will be about 150'.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not looking at any charts, but according to my memory your going to lose a hair over 5 psi by 230' at 13 gpm...

You'll be fine.

5. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Well as luck would have it my well is the highest point in my yard(beleive it not). So I have roughly 14' of elevation change by the time I get to that 232' mark. So with 14 x .433 = 6 to my good it should really be ok.

6. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

A few more questions while I'm asking.

1. I'm going to use Hunter PGV valves. Which is better angle or globe? Also, slip or threaded? And do I get flow control or not?
    2. Do you guys recommend swing joints or funnypipe? I'm considering the cost also.
    3. Single cond. wire, multi cond. or what? Also each valve goes homerun to the controller or is there some other way I'm not familiar with?

7. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Angle valve feeds from the bottom globe goes in the side. That depends on the main depth and the lateral depths on which you choose. Slip or thread preferance too. It's easier to un-screw something if its bad or broke then un-glue it.

Funny pipe is a "custom made" swing joint...just make sure you don't have long runs of it. I have run up to 5' on a rotor at 3gpm and they still worked great. Prob not the best tho.

Run one multi cond with the mainline and to the cont....ex 6 zones use 7 wire one common and the controll wires. I usually put in some extra JUST incase. You never know if your going to add or have a bad wire.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

There's also two wire decoded and RF... but since cost is a factor put in multi strand. And like BDB suggested put in more wire than you need right now. You will thank yourself in the future. :)

9. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

I want to make sure that running cl 200 1" for my whole system(13 gpm @ around 50 psi) is going to be ok. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy all this pipe and decide its not what I want to install. Also on the laterals for the sprays (flower beds), would yall drop down to 3/4" or would you stay at 1", And would it be ok to just hard pipe them in instead of using funny pipe or swing joints?

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have the slightest doubts, bump up the pipe size to inch-and-a-quarter, and you can concern yourself with other matters.