1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maint. Help Question about Fish

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by bicmudpuppy, Apr 30, 2005.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I have played w/ enough ponds to just be dangerous. I have agreed to clean a pond for a customer. This part doesn't worry me, and I've done this type of work before. The pond has a population of established Koi. Draining the pond down and catching the fish is something I have again done w/ success in the past. My question.................
    It turned off cold this week and we've had frost the last two AM's...this AM has a low of about 27 F. The water temp is just over 50 and the fish have become active. If I wait till later in the day instead of early this AM to do this project (total time should be around 4 hours), am I risking harming these fish?

Thanks in advance for any quick replies.
  2. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

as far as I know the ambient air temp. is not the issue. I think you probably waited just a little long to do your clean out. we try to do ours in march because during that time period the tap water is pretty close to the natural pond temp. This way we dont risk shocking the fish.

As long as you your temporary holding tank is fairly large and kept from the beating sun it wont change in temperature too awful fast. Just make sure you check the tap temp against the pond water temp.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Well, thanks for the reply. Job is complete, and I think everything went as well as could be expected. The sharp drop in temps must have cooled the pond off a little. By the end of the day when we filled everything back up, the circulating water in the pond was 2 degrees warmer than our holding tank. De-clorinated and then mixed the water from pond to tank until everything evened out. Released the fish back into the pond and everything seems to have gone well.