maintaining a safe work environment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 28, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there is this small tree. not sure what it is, the leaves are green and are shaped like little maple leaves. it has thorns, like an inch long, and sharp as a razor. mowing near one today, i got thorned across my forhead bad, i look like i was in a knife fight. of course i freaked, and cut the tree down to a stump. i WILL bill her for it too. would it be acceptible to put in contracts from now on , "client is responsible for maintaining a safe work environment, including trimming/pruning of low hanging limbs that obstruct our work area. client agrees that if trimming of such is neccesary, and not done by our 3rd visit, it will be done by us, at our discrimination, at clients expense. "

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Way to go there Frankenstein! I hope your client sues your troll like hairy azz off for cutting down thei prized hawthorne tree. SO now you want to make your contracts even longer than the current 3-4 pages you already claim they are? What do you really do 4 a living?? Are you independently wealthy and just like to play around w/ the joe average working man??

I would love to hear what your client has to say about this one. Didn't you see this nasty little tree when you bid this account? I though you were an excellent salesman that could sell a refridgerator to an eskimo. Couldn't you have suggested pruning/eliminating this objectionable tree from the start?? Spin on BG - lets hear more of your tale.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

why don't u just answer the question? i was thinking about you today btw (good god, what's become of my life?) about something u said yesterday, "i have a $32 min stop fee", well, i'm wondering, how much of that $32 do you get to keep? i'm thinkin like $4 bucks. on the same property, i can bid $28-$30, and keep $22-$25. now, who's the idiot here?

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Take your skirt off

5. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

thats a hawthorne tree btw,had a whole line of them at an account i used to do, stupid things can give your mower a flat.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobby I cut over 150 lawns now but I hate cutting my own it will probaly take you 2 hours each way to get here but you sound like you got the time. So you interested in cutting a 2 acre lawn I'll even mark the trees I'll let you cut down for me.

7. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like bob need to start wear hard hat and face shield :blob3:

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Usually not one to critsize but come on, shouldn't you be watching what your doing, usually you can spot a tree before it jumps in front of you. I can see how it would happen but charging the customer for removing a tree they didn't nescasarily want removed is a little excessive. I hesitate to even cut a limb before asking a customer. Some people are pretty up-tight about that. What's next, a surcharge in case you drop your trailer gate on your foot? ;)

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, some fairly intelligent responses to another rediculous BG thread. Has Bobby lost his audience, or are the masses finally catching on to and getting board w/ his repetoir??

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

and you still have not answered bighead. should the client be responsible for maintaining a safe work environment? should pruning/trimming of low or dangerous limbs be at our discretion, and thier expense? i say yes.