1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Maintaining athletic fields

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by superintendent, Jan 13, 2011.

1. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

is that a bermuda field?

2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

nope sorry david

i often forget the cool season grass i deal with is a lot different than warm season

that was for cool season turf

3. david bailey

yeah,down here bermuda rules the roost during the hot season,rye when it cools down,altho this year I'm thinking paint

4. Diamondpro

Diamondpro LawnSite Member

Something I've found when using PGR's. Yes, they may slow down overall growth slightly, but when used in tandem with a good fert. program they increase wear tolerance and turf density. The use of PGR's changed the plants verticle growth to horizontal growth, creating the turf I stated above. But I havent seen a PGR decrease the turfs recover-ability when used correctly.
    I'm specfically talking about a college football field, and cool season turf.

5. david bailey

I spray my football field with Primo(bermuda) and it really helps with the lateral growth. the turf is healthier and I mow 1 time less often