Maintaining your equipment...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Nov 21, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best way to keep your mowers clean and looking nice?Is it OK to just rinse them off with a hose?How about all that 'crud' under the hood?Thanks. Jim

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I wash my mowers every 2 weeks or so. A little simple green or degreaser over the engines and everything else is like a car, a bucket of suds and away we go.

Under the hood, power wash and lube it lightly with spray oil to keep it from rusting or let it go raw.

The line trimmers, and hand tools get the ole' quick evaporating degreaser and blown of with the air compressor.

How about everyone else???

3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

We blow off the mowers every night, take the cover off the deck and blow all of the grass out. I dont like for the guys to use water because I figure it will sit in the decks and rust them out quicker, am I wrong about that?

4. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I wash mine a few times a week and dry it with my Redmax! LOL!l

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Keep water away from the spindle areas. Water can and will be forced into the bearing. If you have the sealed types like most have now, the water will get in but no way to get out.

eXmark recommends blowing the mowers off and not spraying water around spindles. I've done it that way since they were all new. Just about everyone I know around here with mowers that wash in that area goes thru spindle bearings pretty fast.

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

65Hoss,

That's a good post. I'll adhere to that procedure in the future. Any opinion on a little simple green to keep the engine clean for better cooling purposes?

Tim
    Southaven, MS

7. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

"Simple Green" swear by it.. Great product... Scrape, blow them daily. Washing 1x a month. Light (rinse) water, like 65hoss said about the bearings.

TOM
    GREEN THUMB LAWN SERVICE

8. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i use a heated high pressure power washer takes all the dirt off i never power wash near the spindles clean that area with air

9. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Wash once a month. Like to keep that professional image.

mower004.jpg

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use simple green or a product called reliable. If you let these products soak for awhile it will cut the scrubbing in half. I normally wash once a week and a good detail at the end of the year. During the off season I pull stuff apart for a thorough cleaning.

I run Scag and they use tapered greasable roller bearings. I pressure wash everything and then I grease everything to get out any trapped water. Never had a problem.

I also let my mower dry in the sun. Sometimes I coat it with WD40 as well. Dust sticks to it easier the next time I mow but it also comes off easier when cleaning.

Jimbo