Maintenance agreement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcs, Feb 3, 2003.

1. mcs

mcs LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I would like to know how many of you use maintenance agreements. Do they work well? What time period do you use? Anything else I should know.

I have not been in the business that long and have been using a proposal form.

I'm concerned that if I try to get a customer to sign a maintenance agreement they will balk and contact someone else.

Also, I noticed that lawnsite.com is selling a maintenance agreement. Have any of you bought it and if so what are your thoughts.

Thanks, Mark

2. mcs

mcs LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Sorry, I'm new to the site and didn't notice that almost the same question had been asked earlier.

I'm still interested in responses.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If they don't appreciate your level of professionalism by having contracts, then I would steer clear of that type of individual. The fact that they don't want a contract leads me to believe THEY are not trustworthy to be MY client. Too many issues in society today to NOT have something legally binding.

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

If someone will not sign an agreement due to late fees for past due amounts, termination of service for failure to pay, and/or compensation for any collection costs, etc. I begin to wonder why. Especially when I have an out clause included.

5. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

well agreements written would be necessesary for commercial accounts but the residential ones might be a little cautious as to the trust with you because you might force this upon them. to avoid this just contract the commercial ones because they will expect it. as for the residential just make the deal clear with an estimate signed and that would be it, then if you have probs you can just drop them:blob3:

6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Before anyone will sign any type of agreement they need to feel that they are dealing with a professional. If you are not ready or big enough yet it may be hard to get anybody to sign an agreement. Good forms will help with the professional appearance. But the rest comes with experience and hard work.
    I hate to say this but "some got it and some don't". Just a fact. It's what separtes the men from the boys. You get one chance at a first impression. If you come off as a professional in this industry you wil have alot more succes. If you are already doing work for a client and you want them to sign an agreement. Remember, when you talk contracts most people want competitive bids. Are you ready for that..... Food for thought.

7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

we use contracts, but i wouldn't go as far to say that if someone won't sign one, they are untrustworthy.

fact is there are companies that don't require them, people know this. they may think "these two companies both seem good, same price, i'll go with the one that isn't having me sign something"

our contracts are simple, i doubt they would scare many people off. but some companies have multi page documents that i don't think i would sign if i were looking to have work done.

dpends on the nature of the person, and the detail of the contract.

a 5 page contract for a mow and go $120 prop is overkill IMO.

of course, having nothing in writing is unadvisable.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I started using agreements/contracts last season. I sent them to half of my customers. They had all the work and charges spelled out. All of the customers agreed and signed the contracts. Only 2 of the customers knew what they were getting, and paying for. :eek: The rest of them were suprised, and shocked when I would show up to do landscape maintenance, aeration, etc. and they would say to me tell them what the cost will be for the job I was doing. They wanted to pay for what I was doing while I was there. Although the thought of getting double pay for the work was exciting me, I told them that it is in the agreement and was doing the work I proposed and they agreed to. They were lucky that I am as honest as I am, actually I believe they signed them because they knew that I would not steer them wrong.

This season, all will get the agreement, I like how they worked out. I have some condos that a new managenent company took over. Last season they had someone doing the work I was supposed to be doing. I hate going to do something and it has already been done by someone ( more likely for less money than I was charging.This year, sign the agreement, with work spelled out, or let the other person do it!!!

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I will only do work for someone who has signed a contract. It is totally a matter of trust and I want to get my money in the end.

Gravely_Man

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what I've been using for the last 13-14 years or so. You'll notice that I have my customers pay for the month in advance. Once burned, twice learned. The file is in Adobe Acrobat format and if you cannot open the file you need Acrobat Reader awhich you can download for free at www.adobe.com

Attached Files: