1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maintenance costs on ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Nov 4, 2006.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for information as to how much maintenance cost goes into a mower over its life span. And for that matter if properly maintained how long can a mower last 2000 hours? 3000? 1500? Because I am new to the lawn mowing side of landscaping I am looking in completely general terms. On average can I expect to spend $500, 1000 or more a year on maintenance? Blades, oil, filters. Obviously I know breakdowns will be the number 1 factor here, unforseen problems, but what have people found over the life of a machine? Obviously being a brand new mower it wont need too much done to it, like it would if it had 1000 hours on it, but as it gets older what are the types of large expenses that are planned for? Spindle replacement? How often does that need to take place? Again I know it will vary greatly but is it something you can expect to do over every 500 hours or so?

Specifically the mower I have is a Ferris 1500 Z with 25 HP Kawasaki.