Maintenance free ??$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chambers 38, Mar 7, 2005.

1. chambers 38

chambers 38 LawnSite Member

I am looking to offer my customers a maintenance free program
    And would like to know what dose your company offer year around (remember I live in Florida)
    Right now I have 2 “plans” that I’m thinking of
    One is, hedging, weeding, cleaning.
    Two is, trimming trees including most palms under 20 feet, leave removal, storm debree removal.
    All of these are going to be under contract for one year minimal of 80$ a month.

What do you think?
    Bad idea or needs work with more to offer then what I’m thinking of??

P.S all include basic mowing service included
  2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

;) ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ;)

Maybe cause I'm from New England but I don't get it? What is maintenance free???
  3. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Just charge them extra for those services, I wouldn't include it in the monthly service, because then you'd be doing something every week or at least once a month and it won't be worth your time.
  4. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

I agree with lightning!!!
  5. chambers 38

Ya the more I think about it, the more it doesn't sound all that good.
  6. KurtW

KurtW LawnSite Member

Have you test marketed this idea yet???? I live just a few miles north of you and I know it won't fly here. Most of the customers you get in this area, all you offer, except for the tree trims for $50-$60 a month with NO contract..Kurt
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

$80 a month wouldn't even begin to cover the cost of basic lawn service.
  8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to offer a full maintenance program to your customers that would include trimming the hedges x amount of times per year, trimming the palms x amount of times and put down pre-m and post-m weed killers and fertilizer during the year and spraying the weeds in the beds along with your mow, blow and go would be great , but you have to come up with a price for all of these jobs and then multiply that by the number of times per year that you will do them and then figure how many cuts you will give them per year. After you have all of these numbers, add them all up and divide by 12 and that will give you their monthly bill. This is how I do it but $80.00 per month wouldn't even come close. There are some properties that pay that much each week just to be cut.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would just see what they want on a case by case basis. some may want hedges included, some beds, some just the lawn. $80 is a good starting point. Some people dont realize how fast we can get in and out. BUT!!!! Dont you remember last years weather??????????? Not normal, but lots of trees down, dont ever ever agree to do this for free.
  10. chambers 38

Ya being solo I was trying to find a way to get a monthly bill from my customers but also knowing most of them are on a “fixed” income and are complaining about $27 per cut. So I was thinking what if they had a way to know what the amount of the bill will be instead of what was performed each month and billed for that month not know if it was just one cut or 4 cuts.
    So trying to be nice I worked on this idea but the more I looked at my cost and work I was losing no matter what.
    I asked one of my customers what they thought of it and they where on a fixed income and one liked it but all the others just decided to stay with per cut billing.

I should include I purchased a existing company manly for the equipment but it came with 19 customers and this is my first month working with them and having a hard time keeping up with my Owen bills for the company (see I am paying the man I purchased the company from $500 a month till in full) so I was hoping to find a was to get continuum income from new customers to help when things get slow.

But I think I am going to get more new customers and just keep with the per service monthly billing.

Thanks Gil