1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Maintenance help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chem1, Jan 7, 2008.

1. chem1

chem1 LawnSite Member

I am finally getting around to do some season ending maintenance chores on my Toro Z587 and I need some advice :hammerhead:

First, I can not figure out how to get the dust caps off to grease the front caster pivots. Any suggestions?

Next, I want to flush and change the engine coolant (it is a liquid cooled Kawi engine) but the owners manual says to take it to an Authorized Service dealer. I feel like this is within my limited mechanical abilities, (I found the drain plug on the engine to remove the old antifreeze) but I wonder if there are some special issues with this engine that I should be aware of? The owners manual does not even include directions as an option for this service.

Finally, when I change out the hydraulic filter, should I go ahead and flush and change the hydraulic fluid? The mower has 260 hours, but I am the second owner and I am not sure if it has been done before. Can I do this myself or is this another dealer service?

Thanks for your help! This is an awesome site!