maintenance/modification questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nbuzz, Nov 15, 2007.

1. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

I have a few questions if you guys will humor me.
    1. I want to clean out my gas tanks and replace the fuel valves. on my bobcat everything is bolted down. how do i pull the tank? and how do i pull the valves?
    2. how do pull the covers off a 15hp kohler command? i have all of the side screws out.
    2. Can I put an electric start on my 15hp kohler command that is off of a 14hp kohler command on a crapsman tractor? If I can how do i do it?
    3.I want to make a 7hp ohv intek briggs rev higher. if its possible how can i do it?

thanks in advance for any help! greatly appreciated, buzz.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1. Forget that, if it works don't fix it.
    > If the valve needs replacing because it won't shut the fuel OFF I think it would be easier to buy and install an inline one.
    >> That or I just clamp the hose shut gently with small vise grips, it should only need this for a short time anyhow.
    > If it won't let the fuel through or if it is leaking, then we need to look into this.

2. Unless there is a problem with it I never pull covers or tear into the engine, much less a Kohler (they can run a g to replace).

2. Oh, I see. Yes, that should work, I think. Try using the 14hp as an example on what to do on the 15, I would have to guess somehow you're either missing a screw or bolt, or perhaps the recoil assembly needs to come off. Beyond that I would download the pdf manual from the Kohler web site.
    > Don't fuxor it up, they don't make the 15hp anymore, a replacement runs 1100-1300+ IF you can find one!
    > There is (or was) one on ebay for 650-700, I was sore tempted to get it as a spare, that's the only one I saw.

3. First you want to run synthetic oil, then I would see about finding a slightly stronger spring to replace the one that counteracts the automatic governor linkage, or see if the current spring can get hooked up different so there's a little more tension. Beyond that a small throttle cable adjustment might offer a few extra rpm's but I do know Briggs'es are not much for redlining (Kohlers otoh are lol).

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Well, it's been some time since I worked on a bobcat, but they are bolted on from under the tank I think :rolleyes: The valves are under there too...
    There should be a rubber grommet that is pressed in and the valve is pressed in to that. The valves are easy to take out, they should just pull out. You can also replace the grommet to if need be. But like Top said, if it ain't broke.....

If you have all the "screws" out, then it should just pull off....Are you going to clean the fins ?

Anything is possible, but why would you want to do that ? :nono: It's not a good idea unless your engine isn't working at the correct rpm.

ericg likes this.
  4. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

well thats the problem. cause the kohler needs a new coil. and since i would have the covers off i thought that i would pull the starter off of the crapsman and install it on the walk behind.

5. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

the briggs is on a snapper mower and it cuts like sh*t. i already switched to a hi lift. always has clean deck. but still misses blades and tears in wet.

6. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Are your belts loose, old or worn out ? this could be part of your problem.

ericg likes this.
  7. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

the only belt that it has is the self propell. its only a 21" mower.

8. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Ahhhh, I thought you had a home owner rider that some one put a under powered engine on.....Only Snappers I've ever worked on where home owner riders or commercial WB.....

ericg likes this.