1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

maintenance on mowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 29, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i know that i am supposed to change the oil every 50 hours onm my machine, but for the bigger companies you must have to change your oil like once a week. my question is, if you are using it regularly, can it go longer between changes? is the 50 hrs. only for those who only cut their own lawn every week?
  2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

if you dont want to change your oil, then dont. you'll save the 2 bucks for the quart of oil. but if you want to make your equipment last along time, then maintain it by the book. im assuming you're making a living with your equipment? do you want to drop 1000-1500 on a new engine because you didnt want to change the oil? just get a Tinytach, watch the hourmeter on it, and service it at the maunufacturers intervals.
    for what its worth, my neighbor has a lawn service. he maintains his stuff religously. EVERY mower has 3 sets of blades....one set on it, 2 extra sets. they get changed every week. he sharpens them on a pro blade sharpener. he changes oil at 50 hours...or if he has downtime, and its 46 hours, he changes it. takes care of his trucks and trailers like this too. he hasnt had a failure in years. been running one scag he bought used for 6 years now....never had a failure. ask him how much oil costs. oil and grease are cheap. if you want to save money, dont put chrome on your truck, or dont eat at burger king every day.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

50 hours? Kawi suggests every 100 hours...
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your correct, But read your vehicle owners manual. I seen 7,500 miles per oil change. Would you wait that long ? I sure as hell don't. It all depends on how well you want to take care of your equipment, As oldrusty said oil and grease is cheap to major repairs.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The more frequent you change your oil the better, most engines running commercially are air cooled and use less then 2qrts of oil running 3600rpms for an average 5-6hrs a day sometimes 6 days a week..:eek: You can do the math and quickly see why it is so important to change it.
  7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

"mr. smith, the reason your engine failed is because you changed your oil too often". thats something you'll never hear.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've always changed my Kawasaki's with Mobil1 every 100 hours and they've always run flawlessly on the inside.

Hey, does anyone know of aftermarket filters (Fram, etc.) that match up to the Kawasaki's?
  9. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of like having insurance......... oil is cheap compared to replacing an engine.

You do have insurance??
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Im running Frams now, may not be the best filter but the oregon garbage from my dealer wasnt the best either.

Also change my oil every 50 hours.