maintenance on mowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree. when compared, cost of oil and grease vs cost of new motor due to premature failure from lack of maintainence, its cheaper to just change the oil when you're supposed to, and grease it regularly. I've got an obsessive compulsive thing about that myself, I cant run a motor and just let it be neglected.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm running the Kawasaki's but my dealer is out of the way compared to the local Advance Auto store. Anyone know the part numbers to their aftermarket filters?

3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

get the Kawasaki part number. then look at the Wix, Baldwin or Fram website and see if it'll cross. Wix makes filters for napa, so if wix has it, so does napa.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks pal:)

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I put a Proline on Kaw today and noticed that the size of holes in the ring were much smaller than the original filter....think I go see what Napa has or go get Kaw filters.

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

NAPA part number 1394 is a napa gold filter and it's all I use on my KAW's.

7. rklawnmowing

rklawnmowing LawnSite Member

i have 140hrs on my tiger cub with the 48/19 combo and my air filter is looking as clean as the day i bought it, and its still the same filter too, i did notice that you have to replace the fuel filter every 60-75hrs which is fine with me its a 5 dollar part. oh and every changes their oil every 50hrs? i thought it was every 30hrs. i just looked in the manual and it says ever 100hrs or bi-weekly

8. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Most Kawasaki engines use the 49065-2078 oil filter, and this changes to a Fram PH4967 filter. Most stores that carry Fram keep them.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Why not use the Kawasaki filters? You are only saving a couple bucks by using Fram or Napa. Not all filters are the same on the inside.

10. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I've got a good friend who's an auto mechanic. He took the time to cut apart a few different filters. I saw the results firsthand. Fram and those cheapie Quaker State ones were the worst. What they do is skimp on the paper inside the filter. Less paper = less filtration. Wix (Napa & Car Quest) turned out to be the best all the way around in a few areas. On some of the better grade filters, Wix uses a ball check. What this does is keep the filter full of oil when the engine is off.

During the first few seconds on a cold start is a bad time for wear and tear on bearings and such. The ball check insures that as soon as the engine fires, it has oil going where it needs to be because it didn't drain back from the filter. Something like filling the new filter before installing it during an oil change.

I crossed my Kohler 23hp to a Wix/Car Quest. 85348 is the number. I believe 5348 with another number in front of the 5 will be the Napa number. I don't happen to have it handy though, sorry.

I also crossed my Honda engine/Porter Cable generator as well.

$10 for a regular filter from the dealer, or $4 for a top of the line from Wix/Napa. ;)

A