Maintenance Routine Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TEKracing37, May 22, 2008.

1. TEKracing37

TEKracing37 LawnSite Member

I just bought a Ferris 1500Z ZTR (25hp kaw/52" cut) for my home mowing, no commercial. I'm interested in maintaining it to the highest levels and I'm looking for a little guidance on the things I should be doing. It has 4.8 hours on it now and my dealer told me to change the oil, etc... between 5-8 hours so, I'll do that.

How about...
    -proper way to clean the mower itself
    -proper way to clean under the deck

Any other tips from the pro cutters? I'd appreciate any input

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Homeowners can change oil (initially) after 10 hours, 100 hour intervals after that.

To clean the mower deck, turn the blades on and squirt water under there after every time you use it (before it dries).
    If the grass is already dry, invest in a jack and a putty knife.

You can clean the top of the deck with water, too, just turn the blades on for 5 minutes afterward (to get the water off the bearings).

If you are going to let it sit for more than a month, get fuel stabilizer, put it in, start the mower and let it run about 5 minutes, then shut the fuel off and let it stall.
    No fuel line shut-off? Put one in.

If this is a gear drive, don't shift while moving - you'll blow the tranny after a while.

Grease it, but don't overgrease it.

Get a second set of blades and a set of belts for the unit. That way, if you get caught in the middle of a job with a breakdown, your wife/GF/significant other/parents won't complain that you didn't finish the grass.

Put Slime in all the tires (use the correct amount for your size tires). Or get "Flat Free" tires. DO NOT use Fix-A-Flat. It doesn't work. Last time I saw a mower go 45 mph, (activation speed for fix-a-flat) it was racing.

If you dont have a battery charger, get one. No way to pull-start that unit.

Anything else should be covered in the maintainence section of your manual.
  3. TEKracing37

TEKracing37 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, jkason...I appreciate it