maintenance schedule

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by metrognome, Aug 1, 2002.

1. metrognome

metrognome LawnSite Member

I am a service tech in a full service dealership in Portland OR.

I'm putting together a list of regularly scheduled maintenance items for our customers and would like to hear some others points of attention. Annual service, seasonal service, etc.
    Something along the lines of a check list of the things that should be taken care of in a "tune up", or a "basic maintenace" of walk behinds and\or riders.
    Thanks in advance.

2. olfrt

olfrt LawnSite Member

If you don't do the daily and 25 hour services you may not make the 250 hour service.

Air filter every day, blow out the motor or radiator daily

lube the grease points every 25 hours or more if needed.
  3. dynodp1

dynodp1 LawnSite Member

hi.. i've made up a page of recommended service intervals for small engines from info i've compiled from a few diff resources...
    its not geared toward mower or ride on mower servicing, only the engine....
    i can e-mail it to you if you like... contact me at .... and maybe when you get done with your check list i can get a copy of it... :)
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

5. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

Doesn't all new equipment come with an owner's manual that clearly states what maintenance needs to be done, and when?
  6. grasmo

grasmo LawnSite Member
    from fl

7. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

when i bought my equipment i purchased a electronic hour meter
    (SENDEK) which tells you the rpms the machine is running also at 25 hr intervals will flash -lube- or -change oil- a good investment
    for your equipment. mount it where its convient to see and wrap the wire around a spark plug wire. about $40. bucks. :D

you plant it, I'll maintain it
  8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

With newer equipment it is really hard to justify tune-ups as they are known. With us us tune-ups included changing the points and condensor, which required most of the time about extra 40 mins to pop the flywheel off. With most newer equipment it is all electronic ignition and so the big difference between a service and a tune has disappered.

Service-mowers and engines: Change oil, filter(clean foam filter, replacement if needed), spark plug, and make adjustments to carb.

Tune-up-mowers and engines: Service included, change points and condesors(old engines), de-carbonize head(new head gaskets. Extra fee for twin cylinders.

Service-small 2 cycle equipment: Change filter, spark plug, and adjust carb.(line trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, etc.)

Tune-up-small 2 cycle equipment: N/A

With any service or tune-up the cusomer needs to be informed of any other repairs needed or suggest other items to be replace to prevent equipment failure in the near future. Also hopefully you have a experienced person writing up the work orders. You don't want a homeowner to bring a mower in for a tune-up, when it actually needs carb overhauled, crankshaft straighten, etc. to make run again. Most home owners think a tune-up will make their piece of S*** mower run again, like new.

You can also include tune-ups for specific brands of equipment. Example:
    Snapper mowers: Include Tune-up of engine, change mowing blade or sharpen, change belts, drive ring, and check grease in gearbox(if self propelled).

Also remember it is hard to know exactly what a home owner wants since you see him only about once a year. The landscapers you deal with daily, you can become knowledgable with what they want. Some landscapers will tell you exactly what want(usally fix it as cheap as you can), others drop off thier equipment for regular service, and without adding anything else will have other items replaced as needed(within reason, without contacting them first). You know you have a great reputation when landscapers trust your judgement on what needs to be replaced without contacting them first.

Hope this helps you out.