maintenance service

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Malibu landscape, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Malibu landscape

Malibu landscape LawnSite Member

For those of you that do service what does it include and how often do you perform it.
    We clean all fixtures and lenses lubricate o-rings as applicable
    re-aim and adjust fixtures
    prune plant material around fixtures
    replace bulbs at our discretion
    re-adjust timers
    recommend enhancements if appropriate
    We offer this on a 2-4 visit per year service agreement
    $160 per hour for labor ( 3 technicians) with 1 hour minimum
    plus retail cost of replacement parts
  2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

10 pecent of total job. if brass/copper about 7.5 percent. twice a year
  3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I do this service, I charge 10% of what the first year installation was. We always replace bulbs. I have not figured out how to look at a bulb that is lit and guess whether it will last a year or not.

If we did not install it, then I have to go through and chack all voltages at fixtures to make sure bulbs will last a year. I'd probably charge a set price for that, but not an hourly. Then do the rebulb/aim/trim service, and I charge the 10% of what it would have been if I had installed it.

I just can't look at someone and charge 160 bucks an hour, or 55 per hour times three guys or whatever. I'm more comfortable with set fees based on per fixture prices. I feel like service guys that have formal training, and must pass tests and work several years under guys with licenses have a much easier time with that high dollar hourly stuff- Electricians, Heating and cooling, and plumbing guys in particular.
  4. Malibu landscape

Malibu landscape LawnSite Member

$55 per hour service charge is on the lower side and very fair in Los Angeles. I guess things are different in Arkansas and that's considered on the high side.
  5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

good trick to maintaining and monitoring your lamp life is to date your lamps. This way as you service the fixtures you can look at dates and see if you got a lamp that is 2 years old you can just go ahead and replace it before it burns out in between service calls.......Good trick, have your guys enitial them as well then you know whos butt to kick if something was put in wrong!! LOL
  6. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Joey do you date right on the lamps? I would think the marker would fade away over time.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

most master electricians (4 years training and 2 tests) here are between 35 and 50 bucks per hour.

most plumbers are 45 per hour, higher on weekends and nights. most have a 60 dollar minimum.

Heating and cooling guys are at 45-55 per hour, although many have an 85 minimum.

most lawn care guys are at 35 bucks per hour per man.

But then, you can buy a 1500 sq ft. 3 bed 2 bath house here for around 100-120k. my home at 2200 sq. feet was 140k 2 years ago in a pretty good neighborhood.

So I'd guess LA is alot higher. But I have heard prices on homes there have come down a bit.
  8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

right on the back of the lamps...use a paint pen!!!!
  9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a better system then this (although dating your lamps is pretty novel)...

I use a 12Vac digital hour meter in my systems. When the primary/master transformer turns on, the meter starts counting, when it turns off, the meter stops but it retains memory.

You simply pop one of these in the transformer and you can check how many hours the system has burned for since it's last service.

Have a great day.
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Now thats a great idea.