Major Brush on Fence Line Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dgreen67, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

I did a search for this, but didn't find much. Here is the situation:

There is 550' of fence line (6' tall fencing) that has not been trimmed for at least four years. Small trees have grown through the fence, and vines (weeds, brush, etc.) have grown through and on top of the fence. It looks as though the woods have extened a couple of feet beyond the fence line, and the fence is not even visible in certain parts. I am attempting to attach a picture to show the section I am referring to. In the picture, the fence line is in the right of the picture. You cannot see the fence, but it is there about 2 feet behind the brush!

Can anyone give me any advice (besides a match) to remove the brush? I know there is a lot of hand work, but maybe someone has advice that I haven't thought of.

thanks for any help

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a brush trimmer that I use a 3 pointed cutting blade for small stuff, up to 1", and for larger brush and small trees I use a " Beaver Blade" on the same trimmer. The Beaver Blade will cut up to 3" trees. Just watch out for rocks, as with any cutting tool, they dull very fast. That will be a time consuming job, espically removing the material that has grown through the fence. There is no easy solution.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I hope you are bidding it Time and Material. I would include all materials including blades, gas, dump runs and chains on chain saws

A D9 doser maybe and just have them put up a new fence. That would get it done quick
  4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

couple cans of gas and a match :clapping::dancing:
  5. walls

walls LawnSite Member

I cleared a lot this summer with a bobcat with a brush cutter attachment and it worked great, i your case maybe a shredder attachment would be good.
  6. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

Wow I hope you have some serious equipment. Bobcat and dump truck if you are removing 550 lineral feet that is a lot of debris. Removing the fence and replacing would be a good size job and cost a lot.
  7. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with the bobcat and brushcat attachment or if it is cost prohibtive try a sthil 130R brush cutter with the saw blade attachment it is amazing the one trick is to swing hard through the brush not to use it like a saw use it more like an axe the blades last longer. If time allows use some lesco prosceutor or round-up and kill off the leafy veg. This will help you see your work good luck.
  8. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

I just did one of those today, it was almost 1/2 mile, no fence on the inside, they just wanted everything leveled, tree's and all. Figured up fuel cost blades, chain saw oil, etc. then estimate how long the job will take and how many guys will be on it. Luckily he just wanted everything piled up and not hauled off, ended up 5 hours with me and one other guy.
  9. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

If I could rent one of these, and that's a big if, could I use the shredder to near the fence, or would I have to remove it and then shred it?

thanks for everyone's help
  10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Break out the chain saws cut 6 ft. buffer strip .If you can not slice ,dice and let lie .put larger bush over fence,stack in slightly overlapper directional rows.hook a 12 inch chipper to a 3/4 ton and blow it back into the woodline.I do not know how the area is zoned but maybe you could paint a little brush killer on big stumps.If you stack bush correctly it will not take a guy as long as you think to blow the chips back into the wood line.