Major problem?? i think.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bill8379, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Hoping for a diaognonsis so I don't talk to the mechanics with no knowledge.

Symptoms:

-the other day I would turn on the blinker and my radio lights would blink at the same time. That never happened before, plus I thought I smelled burnt wiring.

-Today, samething but then, I stop/start and I had no dash lights. I got worried that I had no lights at all (it's night) got out and, I had front lights and running lights but no brake lights. More smell of burning plastic.

-So I go to start it up, starts fine (was going to drive home) but the brakes feel wierd and it won't let me get out of park. I couldn't get it into drive. Phoned a tow truck, while waiting the interior was was stuck on and wouldn't shut off no matter what.

_ I got them to tow it to Canadian tire and I unhooked the battery.

Its a '96 ford Ranger... well at least I can still drive my big truck.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a wire rubbed under the dash and shorted out, Automotive electrical is a pain (up under the dash) and is time consuming.

Be prepared for a good sized repair bill and be thankful it didn't lite up and burn to the ground right in front of you.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well....least if you smelled some wires getting hot its a good chance it will be easy to find, some wires should be burnt or discolored by the heat. That was a good heads up disconnecting the battery....if not it might have went poof in the night

wayne

4. bill8379

If it did burn to the ground... i wonder if I would get insurance money:laugh:

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a Ford. Does it have cruise control?

6. bill8379

I hope so. They are going to charge me $82 an hour to snoop around see what they can find and diagnose the problem and give me an estimate.

I've gotten a lot of work done at this place and they're are reputable.

You know the tow truck driver charged be $9.80 for a gas surcharge.

7. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Let it burn and collect the insurance. unless you can fix it yourself, there will always be a problem with your electricial system its just in all the cars and trucks DNA! What is the year and make? oh yeah Got it. sorry Thats a no brainer should of went with the cheby!

8. bill8379

I got a chevy to, a 92 sierra. I dug it out from the snow bank, I only use it in summer cause it's two wheel drive. I sure like driving around a full sized truck again, not so claustrophic. When something breaks on my chevy, its a normal thing like a pump or ujoint. With this ford of mine its sensors crap like that.

9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

After I read the first problem you were experiencing in your post I knew it was a Ford. I have had several friends that had similar problems.

Each of them sold the trucks and now own Toyota's. Good luck and hopefully they will find the problem.

10. bill8379

$627 later.

Problem was traced backed to trailer wiring kit.

Replace trailer wiring kit $44
    Belt Tensioner twisting caused belt to burn off, new Tensioner $100
    New Serpentine belt $40
    Power Steering Flush $80
    Vent Flush to deorderized the burning plastic smell $40
    Replace Idler Pulley$45 (Had wrong idler pulley on there that cause the damage to the serpentine.)

Labour $309
    Parts $220
    Tax $67

Not too bad a price, kind of a relieve actually.