Major problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cenlo, Oct 5, 2004.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I just aerated a 7000 ft2 lawn 4 days ago, the owner called upset that her daughter was getting married this weekend and they are taking photos on her property. I cannot rent a turf vac here and wonder what you guys can suggest to get rid of the plugs? Thanks

2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Rake, back pack blower, EB8001. Call up friends and other LCO's that you know. This would be a nightmare. I TOTALLY feel for you man.

3. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

Tell the guy to get some of that rolled up astro turf and lay it over the yard where the people will be standing. :cool2:

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

If they are dry enough, maybe you could drag a fence section over the yard to bust up the plugs. Then water in real well. That should help break down the pulgs. Make sure not to water too close to the weekend though, will make it muddy.
    Or just say sorry bout your luck, you hired me to aerate, didn't tell me about pics.

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Pull behind sweeper.It'll come in handy later also.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I have never heard of that, but if they wanted me to do something, I would take my lazer ztr or walk behind mower and drive over the lawn to make the plugs(goose cr@p) disappear.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly - are they the one's requesting you aerate? Then it's their responsibility. I understand their predicament but it's their problem, not yours.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm not sure what will pick up the plugs... if they are dry, i would try a drag mat of some sort (chain link fence would be good) to break them up as mentioned. If wet?????

Is it possible to rent some sort of sweepster, or buy/rent/borrow a "power sweep" attachment for a trimmer? I'm sure either of those options would do the trick. The PowerSweep would be a bit slow for that size of lawn but it's do-able. Hmmm.....

I've got an old lawn sweeper out back (it's one of those tow-behind models like homeowners use to pick up grass clippings behind their lawn tractor), i'm not sure how well it would work for you though. Those things work best on thick or short lawns in my opinion. They will pick up grass clippings fine even if you don't mow short and it isn't thick, but i don't know about aeration plugs.... how thick and how low do you cut the lawn? you may get away with a sweeper. I'd really look into a sweepster broom, they are an attachment to fit some mowers and things, or sometimes they are an individual machine i'm not sure.

If you can get one to rent or whatever, a big push blower would probably do it, at least 8hp if not at least 10hp thats much better.

9. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the info guys!

10. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Your mower with a bagger should pick them up no prob if they are dry. You might have to cut it 2x and it will work really well if you have a dragnet,,,chain, mat fence etc to pull over the yard. Don't sweat it, it s not as big of a deal as it seems.